1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Marlin .22, anyone know this model?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by fuzebox40, May 10, 2012.

1. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

It's actually a completely different monster inside and out from the 60's, 795's and their prerunners. Thanks though.:)
  2. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

3. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

here ya go. The fact that you mentioned there is no model number or serial number on your rifle makes me wonder if you might have a Marlin Model A1 .22 semi-auto. Does your rifle have some stamping on the left side of the barrel below the rear sight: .22 LONG RIFLE ONLY-SMOKELESS GREASED If so it is the Marlin A1,as this is the only Marlin model that had this stamping. As far as a clip you can use a clip for a Marlin Model 80,25 etc. "Old Style" clip with some minor modifications to the clip.

The Model A1 was an improved version of the Model 50, manufactured from 1936-40.* The Model A1 fired from a closed bolt, and used a 24-inch barrel.* The safety catch was moved to rear of the tubular receiver.* The original Model A1s used a stamped steel trigger and trigger guard, and used only a spring-leaf and elevator-type rear sight and a hooded bead front sight.
    The Model A1 was modified in 1941, though production stopped near the end of 1941 (as Marlin was primarily making weapons for the US military during World War 2), and did not pick up again until late 1945 and continuing until late 1946.* Modifications included moving the safety again – it was now a radial safety on the right rear side of the receiver.* The trigger guard of this modified version was made of plastic, and the stock was re-shaped, with a deeper pistol grip wrist and a rounded fore-end.* Other variants included the Model A1E (built from 1936-41 and 1945-46), with a simple adjustable aperture rear sight; the Model A1E (built in 1941 and from 1945-46), with a different stock that had a fluted comb and a beavertail fore-end, as well as the aperture rear sight; and the A1DL, which had both an aperture rear sight and a target-type peep sight, as well as sling swivels fitted as standard. All of these variants of the Model A1 are identical to the standard Model A1 for game purposes.
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  4. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

The Model 50 is an open bolt .22 and Marlin's first attempt at a semi auto .22. It's also the only mag fed Marlin you can't find a replacement mag for.:mad:
    It was only made a couple of years, and the early model like mine had no extractor, the next version had a manual extractor on the front right side of the receiver.
    The A1 versions were all closed bolt. Here's some pics of a Model 50 open bolt:
    http://openboltguns.blogspot.com/2009/11/marlin-50.html
    http://openboltguns.blogspot.com/2009/11/still-more-marlin-50.html
    http://openboltguns.blogspot.com/2009/11/more-marlin-50-pix.html
  5. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Yes it does. I didn't mention it cuz I cought a good picture of it above.

REPEATER mentioned a mag that can be modified?
    I'm a little confused as to what the manual extractor is about. It doesn't auto extract?
  6. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

He's talkning about the model 50, which the A1 is the improved version of. I think lol.... I did research to find all this. Im not familiar with this 22 by any means. If I were you, Id mail this to me at your earliest convenience :D
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

we have a marlin expert on here he will help
  8. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

fuzebox, you have the A1 closed bolt, not sure what version, but they all took the same mag. The mag is the same one the Model 80 bolt action uses.
    http://www.gunclips.net/mamo7822boac.html

What Lanzerac was saying about the "semi-smokeless" and "smokeless", was critical in the open bolt Mod 50, not so much in the closed bolt. The open bolt had a part you could change inside the receiver to cycle either round. It was the early version of "Standard velocity" and "High velocity" today.
  9. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Its definetly not a 795,My son has a 795 and it dont look like it.
  10. henleyp

henleyp New Member

Did you get your a1 together? Beautiful berch stock. I have a mint A1DL myself. Bought it without a clip but bought the model 80 and a quick clip mod i was in business.
    paul
  11. Polarized

Polarized New Member

Could you please explain how you modified the model 80 magazine to fit the A1? My father found an A1 in my grandfathers house a few years ago, but he could not locate a magazine for it anywhere in that house and no one seems to be selling them :(
  12. StewNTexas

StewNTexas Member

As to the 'greased' part, Peters made tons of .22 ammo in the OLD days. I have shot many bricks through three different rifles back then. Peters ammo did make comment of 'greased' on their boxes.

The projectile had a coating of what I would call wax or parafine (sp?) on it. This was to lube the bore.

It was fine to shoot, but if you carried rounds lose in your pockets, as we all did back then, you got pocket grit, dust, etc. on the ammo. It felt 'ickey' then, and we usually wiped the rounds to clean them off before loading.

Just saying....
  13. Tigweld

Tigweld New Member

You have a Marlin A1C, it featured open rear sight and a bead front sight. The A1DL featured a hooded ramp front sight,a short base Marlin 12R receiver sight and sling swivels on the stock.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  14. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I lost one just like the one in picture about 40 years ago in a boating accident in Tobesofkee Swamp. Guess it is still at the bottom of the creek.