1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Marlin 22 Lever action

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jab45, Oct 10, 2012.

1. jab45

jab45 New Member

I have a 22 LR lever action rifle that I need to know the approximate value. On the barrel it has ORIGINAL GOLDEN 39-A. It looks like a standard Marlin level action rifle with external hammer. Condition is only good. The stock and hand grip are wood with some wear.
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

hey jab u would have to post some pictures for the good people here-thanks
  3. montezumaz

montezumaz Former Guest

... and the serial number: 1234xx
  4. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

With the info given...$100 - $500. ;)

Serial number, or at least the first few numbers or letters. This will tell it's age.

Pictures would help since "condition is only good" doesn't help much since your opinion of "good" might not be accurate. It could be in better or worse shape.
  5. jab45

jab45 New Member

I took some picture but I don't know how to post them. The number that is stamped behind the hammer is 21263561.
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Click on 'Go Advanced' and then 'Manage Attachments' to browse your hard drive and upload pics.
  7. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

2000 - 21 = 1979

It was made in 1979.

Without seeing pictures, if the metal is in good condition, bluing not worn and no rust...$375 to $500 and up. If you sell it to a gun shop they will offer you about $225 so don't do that.

The pre-Freedom Group buy of Marlin are in demand right now and the pre-crossbolt safety ones even more so.

It's like this, it's the longest running 22 caliber rifle of all time and are still in production. But, in a way certain features and quality has changed so it almost like they are out of production.

With that being said...they aren't making them like the used to so the price on the older ones will continue to climb. People that know better will not buy a new Marlin 39 when the older ones are so much better. The quality of the new stuff from the "new" Marlin has dropped.

I know a guy that buys and sells guns a lot. He bought a 1958 Marlin 39 Mountie for $350 four years ago, he sold it on an auction site with no reserve and a penny opening bid for $830 last winter.

BlueBook is way off on their values for these rifles, they are selling for far more.