Marlin 25N 50 yards

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Jack Ryan, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan New Member

Marlin 25N 50 yards, Federal HP

These Federals suck in about everything I own. They seemed OK for plinking cans but every attempt at an accuracy test seemed to just be ridiculous.

Not until I shot a group the same way you'd blow them off at cans did it start to at least make a little sense.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2003
  2. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan New Member

These were shot through a dirty barrel, who knows how many rounds.

Attached Files:

3. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan New Member

These were shot through a dirty barrel, who knows how many rounds. 10 minute slow fire with a 60 sec cool down between shots. Looks like it might have gotten worse with a little cool down time b/t shots.

Attached Files:

4. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan New Member

Here's the same test after a thorough cleaning. Man that thing was nasty. Could hardly see rifleing. I figured this would be a real tack driver after getting that crap out. What a dissapointment. Even with crap ammo I was expecting better than this.

Attached Files:

5. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan New Member

Ha? Found the secret to using up this ammo and the reason plinking seemed to indicate better accuracy than I was getting here.

Shot a couple off target "fliers" on purpose to warm it up and then put 10 on the paper for the record.

Attached Files:

6. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Hey Jack!...

Not Bad!...I'll have to compare the results to keppler's...I think he still might have a slight edge...!...I see the Deer still hasn't moved either...That's a brave deer!...:D...also, do you have the ability to download and print the Midway Rifle and Pistol Targets?...;)
  7. keppler

keppler New Member

Looks pretty good to me. I better get back to practising.
    You might try shootin a few more rounds thru it kinda "season" the barrel to the bullets and try grouping again.
    I dont have any guns that shoot Federal ammo very good. Like you say, good enough for cans and such but to eratic to group good.
    I have several rifles both centerfire and rimfire and it seems to me that the rimfires are a lot more picky about what ammo they like than the centerfires are. I wonder why thats so. May be that I dont shoot the others as much as I do the .22's so I just dont try as many different kinds. Would get a bit pricey if you dont reload.
  8. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan New Member

Where do ya find those Midway targets? I've got a few "piles" of targets I'd like to use up first, but I like these one inch squares for sighting in a scope and shooting groups.

At this point these aren't anything I'd consider "for competition". They are more for information and sharing a little range time. I know for a fact this gun will shoot a lot better with the right ammo. I just need to check the records and then get it sighted in for the right yardage. Then I'll shoot one on the proper targets for the record.

If I can get it done before ya all call it over. I thought it was pretty weird that they group better to just rack 'em off and keep the barrel warm.
  9. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Last edited: Jun 4, 2003
  10. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Hey Jack!...

No hurry!...burn up all the targets ya got...we have plenty of time!...when we start comparing later it will get easier to do from the same targets!...I reckon my real competition is with pickenup's wife anyway...[​IMG]