1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Marlin 39 Octogon Barrel

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by oonin, Dec 13, 2006.

1. oonin

oonin New Member

I have a chance to pick up a 1930's vintage Marlin 39 "S" prefix and octogon barrel. The gun is in excellant condition with perfect wood. But...it has been refinished blue. A fantastic job but no longer has the case colors on the lever and receiver. I can pick this gun up for under $600. How much did the refinish in blue hurt the value?
  2. ksswamprat

ksswamprat New Member

Has it been redone or have the years worn away the case colors? Most reblues over case harding turn purple.

Swamprat
  3. oonin

oonin New Member

This gun was completely restored...except the case colors. Now all blue...and a very high polish. Rich, old Colt Python looking blue, not sprayed on looking. The original peep site on top of the stock behind the trigger has been replaced with a modern reproduction. Blue Book says $1300 for a 60% gun. Is a nice restoration in blue 60% or is it less. I know the Blue Book doesn't write a check, but we all look at it for some kind of a starting point. Thanks for your reply.
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Whether you buy it for a shooter or a Collector I would buy it. According to my book it sounds like a pretty good deal