Marlin 39A golden mountie

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by capetoker, Aug 12, 2010.

1. capetoker

capetoker New Member

Hi I am new to the forum and I am woundering if someone can tell me how to find out about a serial number for a Marlin 39A golden mountie ? It was my uncles gun he bought it at a Movie company auction years ago down in the states somewhere and was susposenly in a coupel of John Wayne movies .The case is all leather with ingravings all over it a real nice case. The serial number is 5894 .Thanks
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

4 digit serial number , is that the entire serial number? no letter pre-fix? The Model 39A Mountie was made 1953 to 1960 and should have a letter pre-fix. BTW The 39A is a .22, I can't remember John Wayne using a 22 Marlin in any of his movies. Which movie was it?
  3. capetoker

capetoker New Member

Hi Ron the gun had auction papers and some other papers with it but the my uncel's widow doesn't know where they are but will call me if she finds them .there is only 4 numbere that I seen but will recheck again when I get back home and let you know. By what I can make out is that these guns were supose to look like 30 30's in the movies but this could be false infi as I know . Thanks
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i very highly doubt it has been in a john wayne movie.first they only slightly look like an older winchester,also the prop houses has hundreds of winchesters in stock and no need for substitutes. old semperfi
  5. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

agreed that its very doubtful that a marlin 39 was used in a john wayne movie. there were no shortages of fake and real period lever actions for that purpose
  6. K75RT

K75RT Member

Here is a pic of my Marlin Mountie IIRC it was made in 1956; these are great rifles.
    [​IMG]
  7. capetoker

capetoker New Member

Hi again everyone Thanks for the replies I kind of douted it myself but just wanted to find out more . The serial number is z15894 I only seen the last four numbers at first sorry about that. Is there any way a person can find out who bought the gun originaly? Here is a pic of the gun and case. Thanks guns.JPG
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  8. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Manufactured in 1964, seems to be a fairly standard Model 39, the gun case is also standard off the shelf. A very nice gun and I feel one of the best ..22's on the market. Value from my reference is 275 in excellent down to 125 in fair. Only odd thing is the same reference ( "Standard Catalog of Firearms ) gives the date code at 1964 but also states the 39A Mountie was only made until 1960. Perhaps it was assembled with parts already made and on the shelf. No, there is no way to determine who the original owner was.
  9. capetoker

capetoker New Member

Thank's for all the info Ron