Marlin 39A question....

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Nolaphoto1, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Nolaphoto1

Nolaphoto1 New Member

A friend at work is interested in purchasing a new Marlin 39A. However we noticed that on sites such as Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop most of the reviews were very negative. The only positive reviews for the 39A involved guns made prior to the mid 80s. The negative comments were all reserved for new guns recently made and purchased. The common complaints were ejection and feed issues. I feel bad for the guy because he's had his heart set on one for a while now. A friend of his has an older (early 80s production) 39A and that's how he fell "in-love" with it. However these negative comments/reviews have him second guessing it. Does anyone have an experience with a newer 39A?

Personally, I think the reviews are garbage just based on the fact that there are so many unmentioned variables to consider. Did the guy who hates the gun ever clean the darn thing? Was the action so fouled with powder and dirt that the extractor couldn't work? There's just so much to consider before writing it off... in my opinion. Anyway, any comments or experiences will be greatly appreciated.
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

I did get a marlin 60 with ejection problems sent it back to marlin rifle is on the money now and no problems i am sure someone will be along about the 39a
  3. Nolaphoto1

Nolaphoto1 New Member

My very first gun was a Model 60. I've never had an issue with mine. It's 20 years old now and still going.
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Someone will be along to give you there opinion
  5. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

My Marlin 60 had some problems as well, but all were resolved after a deep cleaning and replacement of a bent firing pin. I remember reading that Marlin ships their guns with the heavy greases and lubricants used in manufacturing still inside.
  6. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

The question was about the 39A lever action, not the Model 60. There is nothing wrong with the current Model 39A. You see folks bashing the newer Marlins since Marlin was bought out by the Cerberus bunch, but that's mainly just internet yakking. Some guns have been not up to par, but they will take of any that aren't and your friend will be just fine.

They said the same thing when Winchester became USRAC and then again when USRAC went away and the new FN Winchesters came out. Just grumblings, that's all.
  7. Plinked

Plinked Member

I wanted to buy my son a Marlin 39 but I also was concerned about the feedback I was reading on these rifles and the lack of customer service so I went with the Henry which I read nothing but good about their quality and customer support. Its possible I over reacted as the Marlin is a beautiful looking rifle but I have no regrets with the puchase of the Henry and I still have plans to buy a stainless Marlin 795.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  8. Nolaphoto1

Nolaphoto1 New Member

Thank you all for the responses. We all become passionate and sentimental about our firearms and firearm brands. There will always be those that bash one brand because his brother's friend's cousin's buddy had one issue that was blown out of proportion. If I had listened to some, I wouldn't have what has become my favorite gun.
  9. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Active Member

You only read bad reviews because they are the only ones that get noticed. Bad reviews get told on a forum and then 20 people who have never even shot a 39A before will relate that story to someone else who is interested in one. The actual number of bad experiences is much less than the number of times posted and MUCH less than the number of great rifles produced.

A lot of the bad customer service reviews come from someone who wasn't really interested in receiving service. They read the bad reviews, happened to get a bad rifle and throw a big stink about it even when the problem gets fixed for free.
  10. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

StoneChimney said it all,and then some!:)Cliff
  11. Nolaphoto1

Nolaphoto1 New Member

That's pretty much what I told the guy. Complainers voice an opinion far more often than satisfied customers. Like I said, if I had listened to all of those who said negative comments about the 1911, I never would have found my favorite gun.
  12. FW!

FW! New Member

I have 8 39A's, the newest is 1963. I have read the same posts about the newer ones. I like the quality of the older ones but some of the new ones are very attractive. I don't like the crossbolt safety, I wouldn't buy a Winchester with one either or a Marlin centerfire with one either
  13. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

8 huh can u put up a picture?
  14. alexboybkk

alexboybkk New Member

hi. i did buy a brand new marlin 39a in 2010 and i love it. it did have problems to fire (FTF) and problem to extract (FTE) from the very first day. I do not complain about that i am just saying. i did not send the rifle to the company and i did not fix it yet. i figure this is only a small problem. i will fix the problem some day but i do not want to spend too much money doing this. so, these problems that you mentioned exists but i do not think that makes the marlin 39a a bad rifle. it just need to be fixed. cheers. alexboy
  15. FW!

FW! New Member

I'm not picture capable. Besides, they are burred in 4 different safes. I did have the 1946 model out yesterday. I found out it is actually a 1945 model
  16. Nolaphoto1

Nolaphoto1 New Member

Well, with all of this lever action rimfire talk, I had to go out and buy one for myself. I checked out three different ones... 1) Henry Frontier with octagonal barrel, 2) Marlin 39A, and 3) Browning BL-22.
    My thoughts:
    Henry- It had nice wood and a balanced feel. Its initial fit and finish was very nice. My concerns centered around the receiver. No where in any of Henry's literature could I find the make and finish of the receiver. It identified the blued barrel and lever but failed to ID the receiver. I read some posts about it being simply painted and of a lower quality metal and made by casting not forged.
    Marlin- Of all three "candidates," it felt the most adult like in size. At the same time it also felt a little too heavy at the front. It wasn't unbearable, just noticeable.You knew you were holding a rifle and not some toy. Its fit and finish was excellent also. My concerns, like the heart of this post, centered around the reports of ejection problems.
    Browning- Of all three, hands down it had the best fit and finish. Its metal parts are blued and the receiver is forged steel. I also liked the short throw lever and its unique system of a trigger that goes along for the ride with the lever during cycling. The little rifle also felt light and quick to shoulder. It had the "quickness" felt with the Henry but with what I would consider a higher quality tooling of the receiver.
    So, adding one more to the collection, I chose the Browning BL-22. I hope my friend, the one who was the reason I made this original post, chooses his lever action .22 soon. It'll be interesting to do a side by side comparison between my new little gem and whatever he chooses.
  17. Esel

Esel New Member

Jeff,

I took a "leap of faith" a couple weeks ago and purchased a brand new Marlin 39A. I haven't shot it yet, and probably won't for some time because of the winter weather where I live. I can tell you that the fit and finish to my eyes is very good. There aren't any cosmetic flaws that I can spot. The machining and wood to metal fit is fine. While I also found all the negative remarks troublesome, I used my own judgement in the end. In my opinion these forums are useful in many ways, but they can also be a dis-service as well. For me, the 39A was the only 22 lever gun that I gravitated to. I almost purchased the Browning BL-22 because I also noticed the excellent build and workmanship of it. But I found it and all the other lever guns to be to compact for me. The 39A was just more of a full size gun. So I hope I didn't make a mistake. It is American made. But I also know that many loyal and skilled Marlin workers lost there job when manufacturing was re-located and that's not a good thing.
  18. Nolaphoto1

Nolaphoto1 New Member

Esel,

Congrats on the new purchase. I wish you well with your 39A. Believe me, I liked it when I held it. Like I said in my above post, of the three candidate guns, it felt the most adult like in size. I liked that. It feels like they took one of their 30-30s and made a .22 from it. You know you are holding a gun. It feels much beefier than any of the other lever action .22s. In fact when the guy at the gun shop handed it to me, my response was "this is a .22?" I had to check the markings on the barrel to verify. I hope your rifle works out just fine. I'm an inpatient type and any reason to send it back would just upset me greatly. Please, if you can, let me know how it performs. My buddy is still mulling over which lever action to purchase. I've been teasing him that by the time he makes a decision, he could have bought it, tested it, and had any repairs made already. Happy Shooting,
    Jeff
  19. Esel

Esel New Member

Jeff,

Thanks for the good words! Your absolutely right about the feel and size of the 39A. It is larger, and to me, does feel like an adult rifle. It's priced that way too!!! I don't mean to be inferring that the Browning BL-22 or the other 22 offerings are not adult lever guns, because they are. They're just more of the compact variety that I am sure some prefer. I could see myself purchasing the Browning some day, because it is a beautifully made rifle. I did purchase a Henry lever gun for my wife, mostly because of the smaller size and the price. It's a nice rifle with excellent workmanship and a very smooth action, but no steel receiver. I didn't expect it for the price. To tell you a little more about my "leap of faith", I actually purchased a Marlin 1894c, 357/38 a couple of weeks before I acquired the 39A. I didn't know about the recent complaints than, or of the Marlin acquisition. I didn't think it was necessary to read any reviews or do any research, because this rifle has been made for years and years and I thought, had a great reputation. I did research the 39A before I purchased it, because I needed to know more about it. So I did know about the issues with Marlin than. I did experience a kind of "sickly" feeling when hearing of the issues some had. But the 1894c looked nearly flawless, so maybe the factory workmanship has taken a turn for the good. That's the reason I decided to go with the 39A, in spite of it all. I just retired and joined a range just across the street from my development. I love lever guns and right now I just plan to use them for target practice, but I'm sure that this will eventually change. Unfortunately the range closes for January and February. So I'll have to wait till then for the final verdict as to whether I did OK or made a really big mistake. It sure is nice to look at and handle them in the meantime though! Good luck to your friend on his decision.

Esel
  20. Laserlips

Laserlips New Member

JMOfartO:

Well, I love 39A's..

I have a 1996 w/rebounding hammer and cross block safety and it shoots just fine.. I think for someone buying a small boy/girl a 22cal rifle for a "first" gun, the rebounding hammer and cross block safety might even be a good thing.

I have a 1975 39A w/Williams peep sight. It's the most accurate of my 5 39A's.

I have a 1950 39A, presently off to Paduka, Ky. for some love..

I have two 1970 Century Limiteds.. One standard sights, the other with an all steel Redfield peep sight.

I think a persons choice in an firearm is just that "a person's choice".. For example you seldom read a bad word about Henry's.. I just don't want one.

I don't like the way the BL22 trigger "goes with" the lever upon cocking.. I'm sure it words fine, I just have an aversion to it for some reason. (I have a Browning SA22 (ATD) autoloader that is a very nice rifle).

Roy Rogers rifle didn't do that, so I don't want one that does. :D

I was thinking of buying a Winchester 9422, but the prices scared me off. I love my Winchester 63, but just can't muster up the courage to spend the greater part of a thousand bucks for a Winchester 9422.

Too many choices, too little money. (and in my case TIME).. ;)

Best Wishes,

Jesse

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012