Marlin 39a with Lyman 56mc sight 1945? Value?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Insjim, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Insjim

Insjim Guest

Marlin 39a with Lyman 56mc sight 1945? Value? Pictures Added

Hello, This one is a Marlin 39a serial no. 44xx NO pre-fix letter, S grip stock, 100% positive it has original bluing (Not Case hardened) NO white spacers on grip or butt plate, It has a lyman 56mc rear peep sight (NOT 66mc)Is this sight RARE? 95% original bluing, wood very good, rear sight excellant.Front sight is a ramp style Does not appear to ever of had the rear leaf sight installed on barrel. Any thoughts on age or value etc? This is a Rifle Not Carbine. My research leads me to think it is a 1945 or a 1944 that some say they made in late in the year others say it did not exsist? Everything about it throws me for a loop Any help appreciated

IMG_5540.jpg

IMG_5541.jpg

IMG_5544.jpg

IMG_5543.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2011
  2. Insjim

Insjim Guest

Here are a couple more pics

IMG_5545.jpg

IMG_5546.jpg
  3. ozo

ozo Active Member

Beautiful.......and priceless in my opinion.
    My oldest is my 39D and I intend to keep it until the end.

Attached Files:

4. Insjim

Insjim Guest

Great looking 39D rig you have there OZO, I really like my Marlin too. Just trying to decide if this gun is a safe queen investment or one to take into the woods. Perhaps a Marlin God can fill me in on its originality, I am very exited to find more info about this 39a
  5. ozo

ozo Active Member

No, no,no, Brother !!!!!!!!!!!
    Please don't ruin her life and lock her in the tower !!!!! :eek::eek::eek:
    She was made to shoot. She is well balanced to carry.
    She also is the nicest A I think I have seen.
    Mine has been thru hell and back, altho hard to tell
    from the pic.
    She was even in a horse trailer saddle compartment
    in a flood, and I thought she was ruined.........
    She still shoots accurate as a #@**% !! :cool:
  6. Insjim

Insjim Guest

Just noticed it has the cresent stock, Does that mean anything?
  7. ozo

ozo Active Member

I don't know....other than just a variation.......
    I have had many 39's over the years,
    never bothered to dissect the 'what's' about them,
    just enjoyed them to the fullest, and if I had been
    intelligent.......I would have kept them all !!
    Every one has had a super smooth action, cycled everything
    I fed it, even mixed rounds !!!
    They are so well balanced.....they just feel good.
    Some things in life just fall into place and work well......
    the Marlin 39, to me, is one of those things.
  8. Insjim

Insjim Guest

Just broke the rifle down to check serial #s and they match under lever 4495 inside other half of receiver 495 on wood stock 495 with no prefix letters on any. I am still looking to get input on the year manufactured. Anybody?
  9. Danjet500

Danjet500 Member

Some information here.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126777

Are you sure that isn't a letter in front of the number? The serial number on my 39 is c6202 which puts it in 1946. I value mine at around $450-500. It has the factory rear sights and hooded front sight.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  10. Insjim

Insjim Guest

Hard to tell, The picture says all. From my readings a Capital C would be 1945 Small c would be 1946. I cannot imagine a C die Strike being that far off......... but maybe it is, No other serial numbers have any prefix. I am starting to think from my hours of google searching readings it is a very early 1945 production run using 1941 parts, I was just offered $300 just for the original Lyman 56mc sight from a viewer. Apparantley it is a seldom encountered sight. I think I will remove the sight and find an original buckhorn and keep rifle and sell sight beings I cannot determine if the site is original to the rifle. It is a bummer Marlin did not keep better records such as Winchester, where as you can find out where and when by serial number the day it was manufactured, shipped to etc....... for a small fee to eliminate curiosity. I would definitly pay to put it to rest.