Marlin 44 mag lever gun

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by gvw3, Nov 4, 2012.

1. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Every year my son and wife and sometimes all my kids get together and buy me a gun. I was with my son when he put it on layaway so I know what it is.

Marlin 44 mag lever.jpg

Can't wait to try this one out. Will go nice with my Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag.

:):):)
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Bought one to go with my Ruger Black Hawk, and I love it! Mine came with the wrong ramp for the rear sight, but they sent me the correct one ASAP!
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I got an older (gold trigger) 1894 .44 mag. I love it!

Being a new rifle you should get the Cut rifled 6 groove barrel. which will make it good for cast bullets. But due to the comparatively slow twist (1:32 VS 1:20) normally associated with the .44 mag you have to stick to 240 gr and lighter bullets. But a 240 gr XTP will run 1850 from the 20" barrel and will anchor any deer or hog inside of 200 yds.

Attached Files:

4. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

That's a BEAUTY!!!!! If it shoots as good as it looks you're gonna be happy. Marlin lever rifles have always been quality. My lever .44 Mag likes both .44 Mag and .44 Specials. The Specials are really quite accurate and a bit kinder to the shoulder in longer shooting sessions. I didn't notice from the picture - does yours have the saddle ring? I know they used to sell those, but I don't know if they still do. Another nice rifle, JLA!
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Oh it shoots fantastic. 2 MOA. And my load is 240 gr XTP and 24 gr Lil Gun for 1850 fps.

No saddle ring on it and no stinkin safety either.. I put a Rubber buttpad off an old mossberg shotgun on it and then Herculinered the butt end to give it a little traction against my hunting suit plus some durability in the field since the butt end gets the most use. its been a great short range woods gun.
  6. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My son wants the 357 mag one as he has a Blackhawk 357. I don't think they make it anymore.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

You can still find em cheap enough tho. I grabbed that one above at a local friend of mines gunshop last year. 325 out the door for it. And he had 2 .357s next to it.
  8. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

Nice looking rifle. Dad had one in 41 Mag. I let my sister have it along with his Blackhawk 41 Mag.
  9. cpt-t

cpt-t New Member

Gvw3: I bet you are going to really like your Marlin Lever Gun in 44 MAG. My Son and I have had one for several years. And it is just great for about anything we have used it for, Have taken several pigs with it. Have yet to take a Deer but don`t have any reason to think it would be any problem. Our old Marlin is a real handy to carry, and shoots very well. We shoot both lead cast bullets and Jacketed bullets with out any problem but the rifle feeds round nose bullets better that SWC`S. I hope you enjoy your rifle as much as we do ours.
    ken
  10. Rogeritall

Rogeritall Member

My wife really loves her Marlin Lever action in .44 Magnum. We mounted a fairly nice 3x9x40 scope on it for her, and she's killed a Deer with it three out of the last three years. She likes those LeveRevolution Hornady soft ballistic tip bullets, but it shoots hollow points and flat soft points well also. And, yes it makes a good partner gun to my Ruger super Blackhawk in .44 mag too. :)