Marlin 60 aftermarket iron sights?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by prijo, Mar 17, 2008.

1. prijo

prijo New Member

Hi All. I'm running through the NRA qualifications for rifle with my daughter and we are going to use a Marlin 60W that was given to her by her grandpa. It is sweet, works well and is accurate (for me, she is still learning :) ).

Question, I'm not a big fan of the iron sights on it, although they work well, are not adjustable. The rifle shoots consistently low and right at 50 yards.

I searched high and low on this forum and google, and can't find anyone that found or installed aftermarket iron sights.

Is there such a thing?

Thanks in advance everyone!
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I don't understand "Not Adjustable"

The 60 has leaf rear and post front that are windage adjustable and rear elevation adjustable
  3. prijo

prijo New Member

Hi 22WRF, maybe it is more ignorance on my part than an actual problem with the gun.

The leaf spring elevation is there, I can elevate the shot, but to adjust windage, I have to tap the rear sight, it appears to be crimped in the gun. I can do that, I'll try that next time at the range to sight it in. There are no adjustments on the front post, that I can see anyway. the leaf spring and tapping seems kind of a course method of sighting, but heck, if it works, great.

Thanks for responding though!
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Thats how you do it.

There are two rules for moving sights to change point-of-impact:

Move the rear sight in the same direction that the group needs to move. Example: if the group must move right, adjust the rear sight to the right until the group strikes the bull.

Move the front sight in the opposite direction that the group needs to move. Example: if the group must move right, tap the front sight left until the group strikes the bull.

I use a little brass hammer that prevent leaving a mark

Your front sight will move just like the rear but seldom needs moved unless it got way off center
  5. tarheel101

tarheel101 New Member

You can get a replacement rear dovetail sight from Williams Sight, their model WDOS. It has windage and elevation adjustment that doesn't require drifting with a punch or hammer. Goggle Williams Sights and download their catalog. They also provide various apperture sights that would be good for target shooting but that usually requires a front sight replacement, it just depends on how involved you want to get.

Good luck
    Tarheel
  6. prijo

prijo New Member

Awewome, Thanks Tarheel!