Marlin 60 Ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by vytoland, Nov 11, 2008.

1. vytoland

vytoland New Member

Never had a .22 rifle before, but walmart has a Marlin 60 SB with a scope on sale for $177 and I think I'm going to buy one. But before I do, I would like to hear the opinions of Marlin 60 owners regarding ammo.

What Brands and types of ammunition are the best and worst (jamming, dirty, misfires, etc.).

Thank you for your help
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Each gun is different in the ammunition that it "likes." You will have to try different brands in your own gun.
  3. lead

lead Active Member

The Marlin Model 60 has been around for years and is a proven, reliable gun.
    I think I have shot all kinds of ammo through mine and rarely ever had a problem. Any .22 can be picky though. Try Winchester, Remington, or CCI. I've had the best luck with those brands. In the model 60, I would recommend a copper coated bullet, and something that is high velocity.
    And be prepared to have alot of fun with it.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

One thing to keep in mind...
    .22 LR bullets are very light (usually around 40 grains), so standard velocity rounds sometimes do not create enough recoil to fully operate a semi-auto. Standard velocity rounds tend to have the best accuracy, but if they won't feed though your gun, then they're no good.
    Your best bet is to keep trying different things until you find one that works well.
  5. Frohman

Frohman New Member

I use CCI Stingers in mine, pretty good stuff, but I suggest you buy a bunch of small boxes of different kinds of ammo and try them out. All and all I suggest something with wax coating on the leads or jacketed.
  6. whichfinger

whichfinger New Member

IIRC, the manual cautions against using high velocity stuff, it will eventually chew up the buffer and you'll have to replace it. I've shot Aguila Sniper SubSonic in mine with no problems, but the 60 grain bullet probably has a lot to do with that. I've pretty much settled on American Eagle. Cycles fine, relatively clean, and very accurate. As they say, YMMV, so it's best not to buy a lot of bulk until you've tested it first.
  7. Lostfantum

Lostfantum New Member

I thought it was hyper velocity that you were not to use in a Model 60, but high velocity were ok.
  8. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

I use the bulk federal pack from Walmart in my 60 as do a couple of my hunting buds. They are copper plated and hollow point and seem to work well in all of our 60's (mostly SS versions). In my "picky" 22's I use Aguila maximum veloctiy ammo. Works in all the 22's I own but have to make sure it is acceptable in your particular firearm.
  9. whichfinger

whichfinger New Member

Sorry, I meant Hyper. :eek:
  10. Mike U.

Mike U. New Member

right in the middle of the Sunshine State!
    Hi guys,
    I've been having decent performance from CCI, Federal(550 Bulk pack) and the Winchester 333 bulk box. All are available from Wal*mart.
    You really do have to try a lot of different brands. If there's one common thread in .22 rifles it's that they all have ammo they prefer. Same make, same model rifle could have completely different preferences in the ammo types they prefer.
    Try sampling the different brands that come in 50 round boxes before springing for a brick of that ammo.

Good decision in rifle choice, too. I love my Model 60.
  11. Gorillaman

Gorillaman New Member

I have been shooting the usual suspects..(figurativley speaking) Federal, Remmy and Win from Wmart.
    I have found that how well I lube the bolt correlates to how well it will shoot any ammo.
    I used to use tri lube, sprayed to clean but had build up...lots after 50 rounds or so...
    So...
    I used a dry polymer lube by Blue Wonder called Armadillo.
    I applied a thick coat, too thick I guess. I had to rack the bolt a dozen times to get it loosened up.
    I shot over a hundred rounds and looks to be the trick. No powder buildup. I used my "speed loaders" for my Marlin M-60 I got it for $140.00 and I love it..

I polished the internals some, works good.
  12. Youngguns409

Youngguns409 New Member

i use the copper plated cci mini mags in my m60... very accurate punch little bug hole groups at 100 yards...
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

2 brands come to mind, im taking into consideration the brands that function nearly all the time in the guns that i own that operate automatically. I use remington golden bullets as a #1 choice, and federal auto match as #2. these 2 brands nearly always function and are more than accurate enough...
  14. drye

drye New Member

Mine isn't picky at all about what it will feed. It can be very picky about what will group. I've had best results with the cheap eley stuff. Practice eley I think. As far as bulk, the federal has done great. Can't seem to get anything made by remington to group in mine. Even the target stuff. I use the dry graphite in mine as well and it seems to work great.
  15. oldogy

oldogy New Member

Mine shoots anything I put in it.
    oldogy
  16. CJ7365

CJ7365 Member

It's a Marlin 60, shoot whatever you want through it, they are great rifles, but I mostly shoot Remington golden bullets through it

so far as the dirtiest, well its a 22, and when you put 200-300 a rounds at a time it really doesn't matter which ammo is the dirtiest at least I can't tell.

Have fun
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
  17. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

You are gonna love it. I have a Glenfield model 60 circa 1972,found it under the christmas tree that year(manufactured by marlin), it has eaten everything I have ever fed it. One of the most fun for the dollar 22 rifles you can buy.Its funny to say it but that rifle is 37 years old and still eats it all.Have fun and be safe!
  18. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I've had a model 60 since about 1972 & it shoots any ammo fine as long as it's round nose 40 grain high velocity .22LR. I've shot the hyper velocity types in it & the first shot is fine but then FTF problems are bad with the lighter bullets the hypers have. "Truncated" bullets don't feed well in my 60.
    To keep it running well I use WD-40 to lube it. Regular gun oil is too thick & makes a thick crud between the bolt & the receiver that builds up quick in 50 to 100 rounds. With the WD-40 I get about 200 shots before the powder residue & lube turns to gunk & when I get a stovepipe I shoot a little more WD-40 in & keep on shootin'.