Marlin 60 Bolt Clips

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Odameyer, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Odameyer

Odameyer New Member

p
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    a little more info would help,i see the ammo you are using is a flat tip,on a lot of 22s thats a no,no.does this just happen with one magazine or both?have you tried other ammo that is not flat tipped.the other thing you can do is take needle nose pliers and open up feed lips on magazine.be very careful on this and move a little at a time.i would try different ammo first,if you dont know what your doing you may damage and make it worse old semperfi
  3. Odameyer

Odameyer New Member

p
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

You're on the right track semperfi...but the Model 60 is a tube fed gun so it's kinda hard to tweak the feeding lips since it's a cast piece on the 60. :)

Odameyer,
    Is that how all of the ammo is shaped or is that pictured bullet nose deformed from cycling through the tube magazine?

I used to have problems feeding the old truncated-cone Remington YellowJacket/Viper rounds in my 60. They're a flat-nose design pretty similar to the round you've got pictured.

If you try other brands of ammo and find the same problem...
    I would start with a good thorough cleaning of the bolt (what you have called the receiver) paying particular attention to the extractors (your hooks) and to the face of the bolt. There cold be just a bunch of dirt built up around them preventing them from moving freely.
    Use a good toothbrush and some cleaning solvent to get as much crud out as you can.

Or, those extractors could be worn out and need replacing too.

On the Marlin semi-autos, the left one pictured is typically a bit smaller than the right one so the empty case will be knocked free of it easier when the bolt cycles back past the ejector (a little spring loaded arm attached to the lower trigger group).
    What you've got does look normal to me (from your pictures), but without having the rifle in front of me to see the actual feed process it's hard to further diagnose.

Long story short, try some different ammo, give the bolt a thorough cleaning, report back with what you found.

Here's a link to some more details on how it is put together inside.
    http://www.castbullet.com/misc/m60.htm
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=285/schematicsdetail/60
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=11760
    On the following page, scroll down to find a link to a PDF of the factory owners manual which gives details on cleaning.
    http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

no fear, its not the feeding lips. The cartridge elevator spring is weak and the bolt looks like it needs to be disassembled and cleaned. The 'clip' on the left is one of the extractors (the blunt one) and acts as a quide for for proper extraction in aid to the sharp extractor, the sharp one holds the bullet until it strikes the ejector and the blunt one turns loose with a snapping motion while the sharp one keeps ahold of the shell casing causing it to flip out of the action. There will be a small roll pin in the bolt about an inch or an inch and a half back from the extractor. Drive it out with a small pin punch to see if it or the extractor itself may have broken. either way, its a cheap and easy fix. parts can be found here. www.e-gunparts.com
  6. Odameyer

Odameyer New Member

p