Marlin 60 feed tube cleaning - would work for other rifles also.

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by woolleyworm, Jul 28, 2011.

1. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

So, there I was cleaning the Mod 60 and wondering just how do I get the feedtube nice and clean?? Well, I pulled out the .32cal Boresnake and ran it from the receiver end and it came out perfect! Not sure if anyone has ever tried this before, but I thought I'd share since it came out so well. Two pulls and it was shiny clean. I used a patch and rod to put a light coat of solvent in the tube before I pulled the snake.

Pulling the snake and the mess on the table.... better get this cleaned up before the boss gets home :D

Attached Files:

2. Juker

Juker New Member

Good on ya, woolley. Cleaning the tube is something often overlooked by 60 owners. I normally use a rod and patch wet with Bore Brite, but will have to try "pulling the snake". (Insert gratuitous joke here.) :D
  3. woolleyworm

This was the first full teardown on the 60 since I had bought it. I picked it up with the 500SW last year along with a Win Mod 67. I don't think it had ever been torn down and given a proper cleaning; I'm suprised that it was still functioning perfectly with all the build-up in it. Took me right at 90 minutes to clean it.....:bleh: It's done though and I'm looking fwd to putting a few hundred rounds through it on Sat, or should I say, watching the kids put a few hundred through it. :thumbsup:
  4. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Rod and soft brush do the job without the headaches.
  5. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I to clean the tubes on my 60's but not nearly as often as the bore. I just give a couple of quick passes with the .32 cal. brush and then a solvent swab on the rod.
  6. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Just bought a used stainless like that one for a hundred bucks. Decent condition, I may refinish the stock. Going to test drive it Tuesday. Hope it's all good!
  7. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

i would bet ,not one in a thosand model 60's ever get the tube cleaned. Good solution, but you are playing with fire, doing that in the house!
  8. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I had a friend that had one so gummed up it would hold only 7 rounds. I cleaned the thing for him and he stated '' I didn't know it was a 10 shot rifle.'':eek: and I am surprised you still have a finish on that table with those solvents!!
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  9. woolleyworm

That's why I have my trusty Bob the Builder blanket, never a drop on the table. :) I give myself alot of space and wipe down the table good afterwards too. Only paid $150 for the table, chairs and buffet at an estate sale, so it's not exactly fine furniture, but I take care of everything I own regardless. ;)
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  10. woolleyworm

That's about what I paid for mine, they're great little .22's. I'm thinking about putting a scope on it soon.
  11. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I am normally totally against bore snakes as to me one time through and all you are doing is dragging more dirt back through your gun.

Oh I never clean my rimfire barrels. Well I haven't cleaned then in 8 years. Still shoot exactly the same. (That is a whole other thread though)....
  12. woolleyworm

You'd be amazed at how much a snake will pull out in just one pass. I look down the barrel after each pass and have never seen more debris in the barrel after a pass. They're not the perfect answer to cleaning a gun thouroughly, but a very good tool for range cleaning IMO.

8 yrs !! :eek::eek: I have been using a product called R-F Glaze by Titan for the past 4-5 years; it has worked very well for me in my 22's.
  13. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

I use several, instead of just one :)

Wash 'em in a delicates bag to keep the wife from killing ya ;)