The Firearms Forum banner

Marlin 60, is it worth it.

5K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Teejay9 
#1 ·
My cousin offered to sell me his Marlin 60, for 60 bucks. I haven't seen it. I know there are no problems. He told me it is in good working condition. I trust him. Is 60 a good price for a used gun?

#2 ·
depends on the condition of the rifle. assuming normal wear and tear, without knowing the age of the rifle, I would say that is a good price. maybe a good idea to shoot it before you go ahead and buy....

#3 ·
depends on the condition of the rifle. assuming normal wear and tear, without knowing the age of the rifle, I would say that is a good price. maybe a good idea to shoot it before you go ahead and buy....
Yeah, I was going to shoot it. He lives a couple counties over. Anything, in particular, I should look for?

#4 ·
depends on what your intended purpose is for the rifle. truck gun, plinker, casual target shooter or ??? you might want to shoot at a target from a supported position to evaluate grouping. is the stock ok (not cracked or beat to hell) and how's the blued steel look? any pitting or rust (above or below the stock-line)?

60 bucks is pretty cheap, plain jane marlin 60's retail for ~ $160 so you might take that into consideration during your evaluation. the good news is, even if its a stinker, you are only out 60 bucks :D

#5 ·
I like the Marlin 60.
Fill the tube a couple times, if it feeds, shoots, and ejects (with NO malfunctions) I would buy it for $60.

The older ones had metal internal parts, the newer ones have some parts made of plastic. The new plastic parts wear quicker than the old metal parts did. IMO

The only problem I have seen with the M-60 is that they were SO FUN to shoot, and they shoot them so much, some people didn't clean them often enough. Which leads to internal parts wearing out. Not mine, but I have bought them that way.

The only other issue, may concern you, or not. Every time you fill the tube, you are putting your hand/fingers right in front of the muzzle. When reloading, I always make sure the colored follower is in the chamber (to verify that it is empty) and the bolt is locked back, safety on.

#7 ·
I would pay $60 for mod 60 sight unseen and only the word of a cousin that it is in good working condition. Heck, tell him I'll give him $75!! :D:D
Worst that could happen is that when you see it, it's in poor shape and the barrel is bent in a horseshoe; then just beat him with it and keep your $60! ;)

#8 ·
that is a good price as long as it funtions through several tubes of ammo. even if the finish is scratched and the stock dinked up a little it's still a good price. the real old ones dont have a last shot hold open feature. i've never had any experience with one of those. but i have had 2 of the newer ones and they both worked well. one was from the 80's and it was a fine rifle. it started jamming and i sold it because at the time i didnt realize that it had probably been shot a million times and was wore out when i got it and that a 10 dollar piece would fix my problem.

#12 ·
Marlin 60 has extractor problems, but that can be overcome. Usually just replace the extractors and the extractor spring and guide. That is the main problems. Otherwise they are excellant. I bought mine many years ago and it came with a scope and a box of .22 bullets, all for $39. I told ya it was long ago. It has served me well and even with slight repairs and some cosmetic repairs, it is still a good buy.

#17 ·
Most anything that shoots is worth $60 to me. I can redo stocks, re crown, cold blue, replace most parts (Except Ruger cause the D company won't sell 'em to me).

#20 ·
I have a 1971 that my father bave me new for xmas that year, wouldnt let it go for anything. Its one of the old ones that held 18 rounds. Never a fail to feed or fire. Good luck with yours and yes I believe 60 is a dang good price...................

#24 ·
Well, I went to the country, and bought my cousins 60. It is now mine. I shot it, after dusk, and hit my target (Bud Light beer can). It was so dark, and I still hit my target. Easy to shoot, felt light in my hand. Everything functioned fine, wife even liked it.

Thanks for all of you fine people, who helped me make an informed decision. I posed the same question on another forum, no replies. I love this forum.

You people rock!

#26 ·
I would pay $60 for mod 60 sight unseen and only the word of a cousin that it is in good working condition. Heck, tell him I'll give him $75!! :D:D
Worst that could happen is that when you see it, it's in poor shape and the barrel is bent in a horseshoe; then just beat him with it and keep your $60! ;)
Guess you didn't pass along my offer.....:rolleyes:

:D Glad you're happy with it and I'm sure you'll enjoy it even more in the daylight with a bunch of ammo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.