1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

marlin 60 problem

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by BETH, Feb 22, 2012.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

asking for a guy at work he says rifle is fine except last shot chamber will not stay open
  2. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Take it down and give it a good scrub fer starters.

For some reason, many folks that own the lowly .22 don't think they need cleaning at times. It's just a .22 after all... :rolleyes:

.22s are some of the filthiest ammo there is.

Scrub it good, light oil, and report back. :)
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

sure its got the last shot hold open? The older marlin 60s didnt have that feature.
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

He is an nra instructor that's what he said?
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Beth, didn't you have problems with yours a while back? I thought you gave it a good cleaning and that fixed your problem. You should suggest that he do that and it might fix his problem.
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

he said he did i guess i will have to see how he cleaned it. mine was jamming had to send it back to marlin they fixed it
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Sorry, I thought the cleaning fixed it. Oh yeah, now I remember the thread about you sending it off, oops!!
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

no problemo
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Im sure it just need to be cleaned. The LRHO lever on them was a afterthought and is in a terrible spot. Many times carbon builds up between it and the side plate.
  10. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Ok thanks
  11. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

Yeah, check the spacing on that lever (more of a wire) if I remember correctly, it needs to have an angle of like 30 degrees, then the straight sits like 1/16", and parallel to the magazine part... I'm probably not making sense here, just look for a picture and see if that wire is the same position yours is in.
  12. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

13. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

My 60 LSHO works great. It doesn't work at all on my 795. But I got that rifle so cheap I haven't worried about fixing it. I had to replace a broken firing pin as a result though. Now I count the rounds I shoot so I won't be dry firing much. I lose track sometimes and still mess up.

My old 60 never had any problems for about 150,000 rounds then I messed up a spring somehow when cleaning it. It hasn't worked right since despite 2 trips to the gunsmith. It's basically worn out I believe. I have a new one though. It's not as reliable as the old one but it's more accurate. Not a bad trade IMO. I'll take the occasional stovepipe if I get better accuracy as a result. As long as I keep it clean it works pretty well. But I went 11 years before I ever gave the old one a really good cleaning. I'd run a brush through the bore but I never took the action apart. If it ain't broke don't fix it they say. I went another 6 years after cleaning it once. I think they were more reliable in that time period but the new Marlins I own are clearly more accurate than the old ones.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  14. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

The 795's LSHO sometimes gets into a Bind condition when the action/stock alignment ain't quite right...
    I usually will carefully remove some stock material next to where the LSHO lever moves...had to do that on an aftermarket stock as well.