marlin 60 problem

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by BETH, Feb 22, 2012.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

asking for a guy at work he says rifle is fine except last shot chamber will not stay open
  2. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Take it down and give it a good scrub fer starters.

For some reason, many folks that own the lowly .22 don't think they need cleaning at times. It's just a .22 after all... :rolleyes:

.22s are some of the filthiest ammo there is.

Scrub it good, light oil, and report back. :)
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

sure its got the last shot hold open? The older marlin 60s didnt have that feature.
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

He is an nra instructor that's what he said?
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Beth, didn't you have problems with yours a while back? I thought you gave it a good cleaning and that fixed your problem. You should suggest that he do that and it might fix his problem.
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

he said he did i guess i will have to see how he cleaned it. mine was jamming had to send it back to marlin they fixed it
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Sorry, I thought the cleaning fixed it. Oh yeah, now I remember the thread about you sending it off, oops!!
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

no problemo
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Im sure it just need to be cleaned. The LRHO lever on them was a afterthought and is in a terrible spot. Many times carbon builds up between it and the side plate.
  10. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Ok thanks
  11. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

Yeah, check the spacing on that lever (more of a wire) if I remember correctly, it needs to have an angle of like 30 degrees, then the straight sits like 1/16", and parallel to the magazine part... I'm probably not making sense here, just look for a picture and see if that wire is the same position yours is in.
  12. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

13. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

My 60 LSHO works great. It doesn't work at all on my 795. But I got that rifle so cheap I haven't worried about fixing it. I had to replace a broken firing pin as a result though. Now I count the rounds I shoot so I won't be dry firing much. I lose track sometimes and still mess up.

My old 60 never had any problems for about 150,000 rounds then I messed up a spring somehow when cleaning it. It hasn't worked right since despite 2 trips to the gunsmith. It's basically worn out I believe. I have a new one though. It's not as reliable as the old one but it's more accurate. Not a bad trade IMO. I'll take the occasional stovepipe if I get better accuracy as a result. As long as I keep it clean it works pretty well. But I went 11 years before I ever gave the old one a really good cleaning. I'd run a brush through the bore but I never took the action apart. If it ain't broke don't fix it they say. I went another 6 years after cleaning it once. I think they were more reliable in that time period but the new Marlins I own are clearly more accurate than the old ones.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  14. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

The 795's LSHO sometimes gets into a Bind condition when the action/stock alignment ain't quite right...
    I usually will carefully remove some stock material next to where the LSHO lever moves...had to do that on an aftermarket stock as well.