Marlin 60 problems

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Redd, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Redd

Redd Member

Okay, looked for someone having the same problems, sorry if I missed it.
    Earlier in the year I bought a Marlin 60SS because I liked the looks and had read lots of good reviews. I'm having a bit of a problem with it FTF, at least I think it's what it is doing. It fires and loads a new round, but the firing pin doesn't reset- I think.
    Another problem I'm having, only twice now this has happened, but sometimes the bolt will lock back and I have to mess with it for a few minutes to get it to move again. I know it has the auto bolt lock, but there will still be ammo in the tube.

I'm about at my limit with this rifle, I love the looks and tube-feed, but I'm thinking I might have to take a bit of a loss and buy a 10/22.

Also, just a side note, can anyone give me opinions on scopes under $100, I bought a Centerpoint but can't get groups under 5" at 50 yards, I'm about to chuck the whole setup in the lake and start fresh. Thanks in advance.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

3. Redd

Redd Member

Bought it brand new, have put Federal bulk, CCI Stingers, and Winchester Brass plated, all with the same results, and yes I cleaned it.
  4. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

Although 5 inch groups are a bit big you shouldnt expect target gun results from an entrance level rifle. One thing I would do is buy some better ammo and see if that will help your groups. Also check your scope to be sure it is not loose, and try shooting from a rest. I have 2 Centerpoint scopes and am pleased with both.

Worst ammo I have ever used for good groups was CCI stingers. I bought 100 rounds, shot 5 rounds and gave the rest away. Keep trying, you will find the problem.:thumbsup:
  5. Redd

Redd Member

That's the problem, I have used a rest. I can get better groups shooting my Dad's 55 yr old+ Remington open sights using the same ammo.
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

The reset problem lies in the trigger bar spring. Every now and then from the factory the tail of the spring drags on the fire group side plate and wont allow the trigger to reset under the sear. Its fairly common especially on the stainless 60's. Ive seen 60's shoot 1 inch groups and centerpoint scopes are junk. Get a tru glo or simmons for rimfires.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

And dont shoot stingers or any other hypervelocity ammo in the marlin microgroove barrels. The bullet melts and leads the crap out of the bore. Im bettn thats the reason for your 5" groups. Take it apart clean it well and trim the spring tail helix mentions in post 6 above. And Grab a decent scope. I know it hurts to put more than 100 bucks on a 100 dollar rifle, but the marlin 60s can really shoot and they need a quality optic just like anything else. I recommend a Redfield Revolution 2-7X33. itll set you back about 120 and you wont be sorry. Plus get a good set of rings too. Steel is my advice, they dont walk as bad on the marlin 60 recievers.
  8. Redd

Redd Member

Okay, I'll work on that this week. Might be another dumb question, but is the barrel supposed to float? The barrel right now is sitting straight on the stock. I'm kind of new to taking guns apart because I've not really had a problem with one till now, thanks for the patience and information.

On another sidenote, has anyone had any experience with the Simmons 22mag scope?
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

The barrels dont fully float bc the barrel lug that the stock bolt attaches to is about 3in down. the rest of the barrel should float. the 22mag scopes from simmons are not bad but way better than the centerpoints. i had a couple inlines come in both with accuracy issues. customer swore it was the guns. i ran bore sighters in them, zeroed the scope then tapped then with a rubber mallot. both scopes deviated badly. threw the centerpoints in the trash and replaced both of them with some 90 dollar truglo scopes and problem solved.
  10. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Make sure it's not the manual bolt lock that's hanging you up. There is a hole on the inside wall of the receiver that the charging handle slips into to manualy hold it open. That's why you can feel slop in the charging handle. Pull the bolt all the way back and push toward the left as you let it slide back forward. It will pop into the hole and stay open. Now pull the handle back out (or to the right) to release it.
  11. Redd

Redd Member

Okay, I've got the gun almost completely apart, but I can't seem to figure out which spring you're talking about.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Theres a trigger spring, a sear spring and a hammer spring. The trigger spring is coiled around the trigger and pinned to the trigger guard. the top of the trigger (square nub shaped) actuates the sear, which interlocks with the hammer via sear/hammer hooks and also has a spring wound around it and a pin thru the trigger assembly (thats the spring you need to address). Look at the long end for evidence of it dragging against the sides of the assembly, there will be a shiny spot if it is. and finally the hammer (the large square thing that smacks the back of the bolt), has a strong spring wound around it and also has a pin thru it.

Its not a bad idea to go ahead while you have it this far aprt to polish everywhere you see metal to metal contact (shiny metal showing thru the bluing) It will make that thing more reliable with a bigger variety of ammo. And dont forget lube when you put it all back together.
  13. Redd

Redd Member

Ok, I'll look at that, thanks.
  14. Redd

Redd Member

Took everything apart, meaning I got in a hurry, didn't paperclip the hammer spring, and parts flew in 5 different directions. I cleaned and polished everything I could get to that was recommended by other posts. I'm hopefully going to the range tomorrow so I'll give a report as to what happens.
    Note: the pin in the hammer was hanging maybe 2-3mm out one side, could that have been causing my recocking issues?
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

If it was out of the side plate on one side that was exactly your problem. It was causing the hammer to go cockeyed to one side. I betcha it works just fine now.
  16. Redd

Redd Member

Well, this got pushed the back burner. Finally took the 60 to the range and got everything dialed in. Running really good, had a couple little hiccups. I was getting 3-shot groups of .5 inches at 25 yards with open sights. Pretty happy with that for now.
  17. GrandpaPete

GrandpaPete Active Member

I bought a new Marlin 60 a few months back and was having problems trying to dial in a BSA Red Dot with it. I found that the wider shot groups were due to not being able to get the scope fitted really tight to the gun, and the scope would 'creep' a bit the more I shot. 2 weeks ago I put a Centerpoint 3X9 on it, bought from WalMart, I used the rings that came with the scope and have been very happy with the results. It's shooting very tight groups at 50 yards and hasn't lost zero at all. The Red Dot wound up on my 10/22 and I'm having a hoot with that, too!
  18. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Good to hear!
    I have a CenterPoint 3-9x32, ill. rectricle and mil-dots on my Marlin 60SB
    and penny sized groups @ 50yds shooting off the bench.
    I've had several Center Point scopes and not a complaint at all.
  19. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The marlins are bad about walking the scopes forward on the receiver grooves. Its an easy fix but it entails marring the grooves on the reviever. Just use a flat chisel punch to make a stake mark right at the forward edge of the forward ring and at the rearward edge of the rear ring. stake the rails closed and the scope cannot move. Later in the future should you need to remove the scope and rings. youd be best served to take them apart rather than trying to slide them off intact.

Red Loctite will also hold if you don't want to stake your receiver.
  20. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

I have a simmons 3x9 .22 mag scope on my Marlin XT. Darn fine scope for very reasonable $$