marlin 60 questions

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by BETH, Dec 30, 2011.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

first did marlin ever make one with a gold trigger? the take down screw is suppose to be black right? what spring gets replaced after 15 years? Gun only has 1500 rnds thru it, if he is not lying to me, should i still replace spring? bought this gun for $50 keeps jamming i am going to tinker to see if i can fix it he told me he cleaned it before giving it to me whell just took it apart and there is ever dirt in the stock where the action goes?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Clean all the gunk out of the receiver and make sure the extractor groove is clean too. The model 60 is pretty easy to take down, remove the stock and trigger group and give it a good cleaning. Once clean, you'll likely have no more jamming issues. Nice buy for $50 Beth!! I don't think they ever made a model 60 with a gold trigger that I know of, but several other marlins have had them.
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i can't even get the rear take down screw out
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

this is picture of the screw

Attached Files:

5. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Looks like you have a little wood work to do to get that name (or whatever it is) rubbed out. Some extra fine sand paper or emory and get a nice stain or wood finish to make it look almost new again. ;)
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Make sure you've got the right size screwdriver bit and give it some ummpfffh, it may be a bit tight if it hasn't been removed in awhile.
  7. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Beth,
    I've seen some of the Marlin60/Glenfield commemorative rifles with gold triggers. They made quite a few of the commemorative models.:)
  8. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

That is an incorrect replaced screw. May not even be the correct thread pitch. Also, you appear to be missing the bolt release lever.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Definitely a different screw. But i dont think its missing the bolt release lever. It looks like an older model marlin/glenfield 60 in a newer model stock. The bolt release models so far as I know all have round charging handles, that one is the older flat hook style. But I suppose that could have been changed out as well.

Just get a proper fitting screwdriver and give it a good twist. I doubt its the wrong thread pitch, the screw is too small in diameter to make it to the stock in a hole it isnt threaded for and would have broken off if the threads didnt fit. Probably just turned in too tight. Or somebody thought it needed some loc tite. either way elbow grease is the way to get er off.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  10. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

I guess what I am confused about is if the action is out of the stock, what is keeping the rear takedown screw in?

Correct rear takedown screw and charging handle:

Attached Files:

11. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Get a good fitting screwdriver and lightly tap the handle with a hammer while you try to turn it.
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

it looks like a machine screw threaded from top to bottom and is silver
  13. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

couple more pictures can i take out the trigger assy in one pc so i wont have trouble getting it back together?

Attached Files:

14. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok going to order take down screw do i just tell them marlin 60? is there one place that is better for ordering marlin parts from?
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yeah someone replaced that screw with a different screw, maybe D/T the hole to a biger thread too because it looks like the screw actually threads thru the trigger guard too.

Beth to remove the trigger guard from there just undo the front guard screw and nut and it should come off easily.
  16. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

so do i compare the screw threads on the screw i have to the threads on a marlin screw? i don't know if someone tapped hole or not should i order marlin screw to see if it works?
  17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

18. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

what if i take screw out of my other marlin and try it that should work right
  19. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

see if the front takedown screw fits it, they are the same thread pitch and diameter screw from the factory.
  20. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Active Member

If the screw is in that tight that could be contributing to the reason it is jamming as well. The 60 doesn't like it that tight.