Marlin 60 re-assembly-dang recoil spring!

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by polamalu43, Jun 7, 2012.

1. polamalu43

polamalu43 Member

I have a friend's Model 60 that he wanted me to clean for him. Its about 25 years old, and hasn't been field stripped in years. I've never taken one down before, but how hard could it be? Took it apart, cleaned and oiled everything, but putting back together, I can't get the recoil spring back in without bending it. I've bent two so far, and just ordered two more from Marlin. Is this a common problem, or is it me? Please be kind. Thanks....
  2. whichfinger

whichfinger New Member

It is a common problem with the 60 and the 795 if you're not careful. I've never bent one *knocks on wood* so I guess I've been lucky. You do have to bend the spring when reinstalling the bolt, but the gentler you are while doing it the better your luck will be.
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i had the same problem 2 guys from the gun range did it for me it ain't easy
  4. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

I had trouble with my 785 the first time (Same as 60), and was wondering if I would ever get it back in. But now it comes easy. Just take your time, and walk away from it if you need to.

Put the recoil spring over the rod, and then insert the rod into the recessed hole in the chamber, and hold this with your right hand.

Then take the breach bolt in your left hand, and insert the recoil spring into the hole at the rear of the receiver. Use the fingers of you right hand to hold the part of the recoil spring that is not supported by the rod. Slowly push the breach bolt down at an angle compressing the spring. While doing this support the spring with your right hand so it does not bend. After thats in, lift up on the breach bolt a little, and insert the charging handel under the slot.

Hope this helps.
  5. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Roicketman1 is correct. BTW I put a good kink in mine and it still works!:) Cliff
  6. H-D

H-D Active Member

had the same trouble with my dad's 60 , I managed to get it together without kinking it though
  7. polamalu43

polamalu43 Member

Thanks folks....as soon as I get the parts from Marlin ( I ordered 2 this time so when I bend one...) I will try again.
  8. Rocketman1

Let us know how it goes.
  9. polamalu43

polamalu43 Member

I will update as soon as I get the parts and re-try the reassembly. Just a quick note--this forum gives me some measure of hope for the future of this country. I find the helpfulness, the common courtesy, the decency, the level of knowledge.....all these things that seem to be so lacking in "society" in general. The kindness that the responders here in TFF display daily really impresses me. As an older person, I lament the loss of civility and decency in our world today. I thank all of you for giving me some hope that kindness and helpfulness still exist. May God bless.
  10. Rocketman1

Well thanks for the kind words polamalu. I have been a member of this group for two years now, and I'm still amazed with the generosity and helpfulness of this group.

Oh.. a couple of more notes about putting that Marlin back together. When you’re putting the breach bolt onto the spring, keep it above the chamber at an angle pointing down into the chamber. While compressing the spring slowly push the breach block down into the chamber. It may bend some, but if you give it som esupport it wont kink. Once you compress it enough so that the rod starts to fit into the chamber your home free. You can try putting the charging handle in the ejection port, and hope that when the breach block goes in that it lines up, but I find it easier to put it in afterwards. To put it in afterwards you will have to compress the breach block a little and lift up on it just enough to slide the charging handle in.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  11. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I had my old 60 for 20 years and had taken it apart and cleaned it 100 times at least and I still bent a spring putting it back in. You have to watch every time or it will kink on your.

I like to grab the spring right at the point the guide rod inside the spring ends. That's the point you'll see the kinks pretty much every time. I hold the spring about a quarter of an inch past the end of the rod and guide it in as I'm putting the bolt back in. What makes it hard is trying to get the charging handle back in at the same time. I usually get the bolt almost all the way in then put the charging handle in under the bolt. At that point the spring is pretty steady.
  12. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

All above summed it up right to the tee. I've only bent one spring so far and if you dont
    bend them too much, you can take a GOOD pair of needle nosed pliers and get the
    spring(s) straightened out with a bit of patience.
  13. polamalu43

polamalu43 Member

Got my two springs from Remington. Not wishing to tempt fate, I had a friend work the spring in for me. Went in with no problem. Now I can return the Marlin to its rightful owner. Thanks all for your help.
  14. Rocketman1

Thanks for the update, and letting us know all is well.
  15. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

+1! Glad you got it sorted out.