Marlin 795 mag loader

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Juker, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Juker

Juker New Member

If you have a Marlin 795, you probably have the pinch marks on your fingers to prove it. The mags are a real bugger to load and the lips can wear out your fingertips in a hurry. I have three mags for mine, and after a couple of trips to the range and several reloads I knew there had to be a better way, so I spent some time today coming up with this solution - necessity being the mother of invention, especially since there are no speedloaders on the market for this rifle. I'll call this the Jukermatic Speed Plunger.

(PHOTO 1) After a few tests to determine the size, I took some 1/16" thick sheet plastic and shaped it to fit the mag. It's a shade under 1" wide by 3" long, with one end trimmed to meet the angle of the follower. Note the large notch cut into the lower left corner.

(PHOTO 2) JSP inserted.

(PHOTO 3) Next, insert a large finishing nail through the holes in the mag, and remove the JSP. The notch in the JSP allows the nail to pass through the mag, above the follower. That's the only small trick to making this - the JSP has to be long enough to fully depress the spring and follower, and the notch has to be cut high enough to allow the nail to pass through.

(PHOTO 4) Load the mag. Only the first round can be fussy, because it might hang up on the nail and require a quick jiggle. I did this 22 times (seemed like a good number) and the first round got stood up by the nail four of those times. Eight more rounds follow, quick as you can. Because of the position of the holes on the Marlin mag, meaning where the nail can be inserted, the 10th round has to be loaded after the nail is removed. This is actually a benefit - pulling out the nail slams the spring and follower into the nine rounds, and when the 10th round is loaded it resets the mag. So drop in nine rounds, yank out the nail, press in the 10th round, and you're ready to roll.

I'll probably just wrap a rubber band around the JSP to keep the nail handy. After 22 test runs, I was pleasantly surprised at how fast I can now load the 795 mags.

Attached Files:

• mag2.jpg
      mag2.jpg
      File size:
      252.1 KB
      Views:
    • mag3.jpg
      mag3.jpg
      File size:
      174.1 KB
      Views:
    • mag4.jpg
      mag4.jpg
      File size:
      189.3 KB
      Views:
    • mag5.jpg
      mag5.jpg
      File size:
      196.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

GREAT WORK!!!

Now there's a guy who can THINK!!

Y'know, you might be able to sell those for $5 apiece...heck, I'd buy one :)

Now all ya gotta do is figure out if that same thing will work for the new 25-round mags when they come out...
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  3. Juker

Juker New Member

Thanks, Shrek. Took some starin' and thinkin' and then I finally "saw" it. I m ight add a round, indented disk on the top edge to make it even easier to push, but it only takes a couple of seconds of pushing, then you can insert the nail.
  4. crooks420

crooks420 New Member

Good work there, and great idea!!!

Jesse
  5. Juker

Juker New Member

Thanks brother. I ran a round rasp over the top edge today, creating a nice little crescent that serves as a finger notch.
  6. magic man

magic man New Member

:eek: I've been waiting fo these! Is Marlin making them or another manufacturer?
  7. Juker

Juker New Member

8. azlester

azlester New Member

I want to thank Juker for a great idea! I couldn't find any suitable plastic around here so I made a few changes. I used a broken decapping pin I had laying around that I inserted into a piece of scrap wood making a T-handle.
    I posted pics and all on RFC in the marlin semi-auto forum if you want to see pics. I don't intend to steal any credit for this as in my eyes it all belongs to Juker!
    Thanks again!
  9. Juker

Juker New Member

Found the site and your version - VERY nice!

And thanks for the 'cred'. :cool:
  10. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

I see a bright future for you Mr. Juker. But I didn't know the state of Illinois allowed its citizens to work on ideas like this. Why, I have read in the newspaper where kids would draw gun related pictures and get expelled from school! You actually invented and made a functioning gun related tool. Hope you have a foid card! Ha Ha...Nice job Juker
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i think u should put it on the market
  12. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

I definitely think he could make a few bucks on the idea :D
  13. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

juker hate to tell u but they just came out with 25 shot mag?
  14. Juker

Juker New Member

Yeah, we chatted it up that new 25-rd mag on another thread. But I have to say, after reading all the early reviews, it sounds like there are a lot of issues that have to be worked out - seems the 25-rounders are poorly/cheaply made, tons of feed issues, etc. I have three of the 10-rounders and think I'll just stick with those.

And Shrek, I'm seriously considering producing them, very low price, maybe putting them in an eBay store. If I sell 'em through a distributor they'll be overpriced.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  15. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i think u should juker i know that mag is terrible