Marlin 795 or Mossberg 702?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Mike357, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Mike357

Mike357 New Member

Hello everyone first time posting here. I'm looking to get a .22lr rifle and I have decided between a Marlin 795 and a Mossberg 702. I originally wanted the 795 but when I read the owners manual online it said that the gun could only use high-velocity ammo. When I read the manual for the Mossberg it said it can use sub-sonic, standard, high, and hyper velocity ammo. I would like a gun that can shoot different types of .22lr ammo. I'm an looking for advice for which rifle I should buy? Pros and cons of both? Any other good .22lr rifles I should look at(I don't want a Ruger 10/22)?

I had a Remington 522 Viper when I was about 10 but my dad got rid of it because it would always jam. I think it's time I got a new .22.
  2. Boofie

Boofie New Member

The Mossberg Plinkster is a close copy of the design of the Marlin 795. I do believe the 795 is a higher quality rifle.

I have owned/own several Marlin 795 versions and the Marlin M-60 versions down through the years. One of the outstanding features of these rifles is that they are known for shooting any LR round you load into them, and with very good out of box accuracy. They will shoot the sub sonic, standard velocity, and high velocity even when they are mixed in the box magazine or tube.

The vast majority of 22 semiautos are optimized around the long rifle high velocity. This is what most people are going to shoot. The LR high speed is the most readily available and the least expensive. You can get a 550 round bulk pack at Walmart for $15.00.

The hyper velocity is not a good idea for any semiauto. I know the Mossberg says OK, it will shoot the hypers, but I would not expect a very long life with CCI Stinger or CCI Velocitor. Also, the accuracy would likely be less that good.

The hyper velocity ammo must meet the same pressure standards as other LR ammo. It will not blow the gun with high pressure. The difference is in the timeing of the pressure curve of the hyper ammo. The problem occurs with the bolt velocity in a semiauto. The bolt weight and velocity determine the bolt kenetic energy, momentum, viberation, and stress on action and receiver. It puts a greater stress on what ever stops the bolt be it buffer or pin. It also increases the viberations and harmonics on all parts of the rifle.

Against the advice of others, I shot some CCI Stingers in a Ruger 10 22. It cracked the receiver where the bolt stop pin goes through. It took 30 something rounds to do this. Ruger would not fix it under warranty. The problem was not the Stinger ammo, the problem was improper use, and it was my fault so I cannot blame Ruger.
  3. lucky-gunner

lucky-gunner New Member

I'll echo Boofie

The out of the box accuracy on Marlins is exceptional. I can't give any advice on the Mossberg as I haven't ran across any friends that have one and haven't purchased one myself.

I have had great luck with my 795 and M-60
  4. Mike357

Mike357 New Member

Thanks for the advice. The reason I asked about the hyper velocity ammo is because I might do some small game hunting but mostly target shooting. I would like to get a semiauto that would be able to fire "Remington Yellow Jacket" or some similar ammo for hunting.
  5. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    mike,i have said many times before,i think either gun will give you good service,however buy the one that feels best in your hands.you will shoot it better,and like as not never be dissapointed.i guess i would be called a marlin man,although i do own many mossbergs.just buy what you want not others.welcome to our forum and we will try and help any time needed. old semperfi
  6. Gun Instructor

Gun Instructor New Member

Good reviews on this topic. I personally feel that one cannot go wrong with any Marlin rifle. I have both the tube fed and the magazine fed 22 cal. models. I cannot get enough of them. I cannot speak with experience on the Mossberg Plinkster. I do plan on buying one so that I can speak with experience on the subject. Mossberg has made good guns through the years and are probably underrated on there shotguns. I want to do an extensive carmparison between the Marlin 795, the Mossberg 702 and the Savage model 64. These three models are close in price (around $135.00 retail) and are made by great manufactures. The one advantage that the Ruger 1022 had in the past was the after market high-cap mags. Thanks to Shotters Ridge, a 25 round magazine for the Marlin 795 is available, and the magazine retails for $18.00 at Midway USA. I feel that the Marlin795 is a better rifle than the Ruger 1022 and is about $100.00 less. I have a few of both. If one wants to go to the used market the Marlin (Glenfield) model 60s are in every pawn shop and can be had for under $100.00. They clean up well.
  7. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

I've never had a problem with my Marlin 60 (tube-mag version of 795) as far as ammo-issues, I don't have the owners manual, but I doubt it says to only use hyper velocity ammo, I could imagine it saying to AVOID hyper velocity though... as far as your rifle choices... I don't see any benefits by going with the Mossberg over the Marlin.
  8. Daric

Daric Member

I would go with the Marlin 795 or the Savage 64. I love my massberg 500s but I have shot all three and would rate them #1-savage/close second marlin / #3 mossberg. I am sure you would be happy with all three so if one feels better to you in shooting posture then go with it because that is very important part of accuracy when hunting all day. Good luck!
  9. Cynergyzed

Cynergyzed New Member

I would go the Marlin 795...it's a true tack driver and sharpshooter .22lr..about 4 years ago I bought a 702 plinkster...very inaccurate, and the spent casings jammed alot, I put a scope on it zero'd it in, and the accuracy was much better, but it wouldn't hold zero. I would have to sight it in every time I took it out to shoot. I got fed up and exchanged it with the Mossberg 802 bolt action plinkster, no problems with it..ammunition wise it eat's anything I load the magazine with. Speaking of the magazine, I find it very hard to find the magazine's for the 802..many people say that the 702 semi auto plinkster's magazine will fit the 802 bolt action...Not true, I bought one and it's such a tight fit that it feels like it could get stuck in the little mag well......But it's been 4 year's, maybe Mossberg ironed out some of the 702 plinkster problems ....
  10. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

Mike, using HV ammo for hunting may be the way to go, but if you are thinking of target shooting, you will be better off with sub sonic ammo such as Winchester SS HP, Wolf MT, or SK Standard +:)
  11. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

This was an easy one, The Marlin, but the Marlin 60 is even better! Cliff:D
  12. gerard488

gerard488 Member

I`m thinking that the marlin would be more accurate because of the micro groove barrell. I have a marlin 795ss and it is awesome, I wouldn`t trade it for a savage or ruger and definately not a mosberg 702 Haven`t had any problems with ammo, seems to shoot whateever I put in it but I don`t use the hyper ammo.
  13. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

I went Marlin 795...more precise, more stuff available to mod with.

Ramline stock
    [​IMG]

Muzzlelite stock
    [​IMG]

Well P-90 stock
    [​IMG]

And there are a bunch of Boyd's laminate wood stocks if you wanna go that way.

Marlin also extended the $25 rebate until 12/31/12 ;)
  14. SfcMac

SfcMac New Member

Mike how do you like that 795? I just got one and have not had a chance to take it to the range yet. This is funny I was hard pushed to add a semiauto to my collection, but my first and only auto loader turns out to be rimfire. That is a kick
  15. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

Man, thats a lot of rivets on that P 90 thing!