Marlin 983

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by 21bravo, Jan 13, 2009.

1. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

im just curious if any one out there has any experience a marlin 983 bolt action .22 wmr . ive held one that belongs to my friends father but have never actually had a chance to fire it. his dad is VERY particular over his firearms. i love the looks of the rifle and have been thinking of purchasing one (one has to do something with tax refund money...) i already have a .17 hmr but why not have another rimfire plinker or squirrel/rabbit gun? im just looking for the pros and cons of the rifle.. thanks in advance for your help:D
  2. okeeemt

okeeemt New Member

marlin 25m

A different gun. This called a Marlin mini mag. 22 wmr as well. This gun is very accurate. I have plinkered with this marlin 22 mag only
  3. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I had one didn't keep it long. Nice to look at but accuracy left much to be desired. Didn't even come close to my 17HMR for accuracy.
  4. McFry

McFry New Member

you must have had a bad one 22wrf, mine amazes me everytime i pull its crisp little trigger.
  5. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

i talked to my friends father about his 983 and he said his is a good little shooter. he said its one of the most accurate guns hes owned. ..and to top it all off i visited my local gun store (Duncan's Gun and Pawn) today and found out that i can get a 983 with a wood stock for $270 + tax ....of course thats not including a good scope.. but still, thats relativley cheep.... i think im beginning to see one less space in the gun safe in the not too distant future;)
  6. desirefirst

desirefirst New Member

i see this post is a bit old but i love my 983, have taken it to 100y with iron sights on a rest and been very pleased with accuracy for someone with less than perfect eyes, hitting 5 shot groups in a 4 inch diam. circle and i know from experience i could do much better with a scope. i only wish i had taken the time to get the ss version rather than blue.
  7. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

I'd say wait for the Marlin XT-22 versions...look to be a nice upgrade from the old Ilion, NY Remmy Factory :)
  8. svitekd

svitekd New Member

I have an older version, 783. Looks the same and has the same specs though. Probably built on the same machine. Definate tack driver. You cannot lose with a Marlin in my opinion. And you cannot beat the quality for the cost. Dont mean to rile anyone but have access to all sorts of lever guns and the one I keep handy is my 336C. Smooth and accurate.
  9. hansom

hansom Former Guest

I bought one at K-Mart in New york about 1992 back when K-mart still sold guns, i paid $174 for it.

Mine is a Tack driver i can put round after round in the same hole at 50 yards at 100 yards i can make a small clover leaf pattern , mine shoots all loads very well but it is exceptionally accurate with cci maxi mag 32 grain ammo.
    Its a beautiful gun ,very well blued with real American Walnut stocks .
  10. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

Know the feeling, when it comes to big game, my 1952 Marlin 336RC (.30-30) is my go-to gun :)
    I've got a tricked out 2008 Marlin 1895-SBL (.45-70), but there's just something about an older gun...

The 83-series are all tube-fed...low maintenance...low headache.
    Keep 'em clean and they'll last you 100 years.