The Firearms Forum banner

Marlin 989 hammer

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  conveyorman 
#1 ·
I have recently aquired a .22 Marlin 989 Semi-Auto rifle w/7 round magazine. Unfortunatly I cant find any serial# anywhere on it. The only writing is on the barrel and reads:

"The Marlin Firearms Co. New Haven Conn."
"Marlin Model-989-Auto-Micro-Groove Barrel-Cal 22 LR"

The rifle may be from the 1960s from what I hear. I was told it was in working order. Decided to take down, clean and inspect. Upon doing that I found that it looked liked it hasnt been cleaned since the damn 60s! After cleaning all parts and mechanisms I noticed the Hammer has a piece broken off. I went to e-gunparts and Midway USA websites and located some schematics. The closest I could find was Marlin/Glenfield Models 60, 70 and 989M2. All other models were tubular magazines. All parts on the diagram at first glance seem to be matching and when looking at parts list most seem to match (buffer, springs, pins, magazine latch, ect) but when checking the Hammer it looks different and reads "New Style". My question is will the new style work in place of what seems to be the old style thats existing in the firearm? I have added a couple of pics (Old & New syle) to get a better idea of what I am looking at. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Hoping the resident Marlin/Glenfield expert will see post. Would hate to scrap the gun it seems like a nice little plinker and all other parts seem ok!...Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The marlin 60 hammer will work however, you can continue to shoot like it is. The notch cut out it to clear the recoil spring. The ears are so the bolt can reset the hammer. Ive seen them work just fine with a ear missing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.