Marlin Glenfield 30A 30-30 Lever Seized

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by shardt, Mar 16, 2010.

1. shardt

shardt New Member

OK - So this is not seized by rust or anything like that....

It is my fault...

I was bore sighting the rifle with one of the laser sights with separate caliber adapters that screw in for tension. As I was removing the laser the adapter remained in the barrel. Of course it would not shake loose, so I took opened the action and used a cleaning rod to push it back into the chamber. The adapter was then wedged and would not shake loose then either...

So as I was going to get a flashlight to see if I could see where it was, my 11 year old son that was helping (watching) me closed the action. (we also boresighted his new 10/22).

In any case now the adapter seems to have jammed in the action. I cannot open it at all. I tried to remove the lever to see If I could then remove the bolt to gain access, but the lever has closed to a point where it will not come out so I can then GENTLY pry to bolt back to remove.

So - Besides the well deserved ribbing I will receive, does anyone have an suggestions, other than locating a gunsmith to disassemble?

Then of course does anyone have any suggestions for a gunsmith in Northern VA - specifically Prince William County?

I appreciate any ideas.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Welcome to the forums. Your son reminds me of my son who does everything out of couriosity and also trying to help. Sounds like you have a mechanical lock between your bolt and your breech. The lever is what is retaining the lock but can't overcome it. The levers can break along with the carrier rocker so don;t force anything. Anyway take the whole trigger guard assy out. the lever will drop out with it. Its going to be under some tension so be careful.
    That should free up the bolt
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Helix gives spot on advice;)
  4. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

5. shardt

shardt New Member

Thanks to both - I have to tell you I got impatient, and took it down to my local shop, and the gunsmith there took care of it... $30... And thanks Trap! The diagram is now saved..

I appreciate the help! Didn't want to force anything, so I decided to let the pros handle it.
  6. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

Hopefully he told you how to fix it next time....:D

Oh, also...if you ever move the lever about an inch down and then stop, it'll lock up also.

What you have to do to release it is simply take a pen and push the firing pin button...hopefully it ain't loaded.
    This releases the safety latch so the lever can then move normally.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010