Marlin guide gun peep sight.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 308 at my gate, Jan 9, 2009.

1. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I installed a williams peep sight WGRS 336 on a marlin 1895 guide gun. I was wandering if anyone else has done this and if you had to change the front sight to a taller blade.
  2. eka

eka New Member

I suspect you would probably be OK with cast loads, but with full house jacket loads you may need a taller sight. Take her out a see where she prints. If it's too short she'll shoot high with your peep cranked all the way down.

Keith
  3. 308 at my gate

Thats it a good point you make concerning the loads I will be shooting. Right now I am starting out with 350 gr hornady rounds loaded to about 1800 fps. So I will print it and go from there.
  4. PetahW

PetahW New Member

FWIW, Every centerfire Marlin I ever peeped required a front sight blade about .10" higher than the issue height to zero properly.

The POI will be too high @ 100yds, if the sight isn't changed - unless you're shooting very slow, heavy-bullet loads.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  5. 308 at my gate

Thanks that is what I wanted to know. I suspected that was the case and you have confirmed it for me.
  6. PetahW

PetahW New Member

Top-mounted peeps, like the WGRS /XS/Skinner, will require a front sight even higher than a side-mounted peep, like an older FP/Lyman/Redfield/etc.

If you've already shot the rifle, and have measured how high it is @ 100yds, you can use Brownell's Sight Height Calculator to figure what height front sight to order.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/sight.aspx

That leaves you free to choose a sight material, like GoldBead/Ivory Bead/Fiber-Optic/etc.

7. 308 at my gate

I have not shot it yet because I am waiting for some new aperatures that I ordered from brownells. Thanks for the info. I did find a new front blade that was higher that I pulled from another rifle that I scoped. It fit good and I will try it out soon.