Marlin lever-action Golden 39-A .22 rifle

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Michael Anderson, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson New Member

Guys, my father passed his Marlin 39-A along to me as a gift, to be passed on to my children. :D My father says he purchase it around 1962/63. I've shot with it many times out in the deserts of California, mostly when I was a teenager while hunting rabbits. I love it! It's very accurate w/o a scope, and has never jammed or misfired on me. The action is still very smooth and feeds flawlessly. Cosmetically, however, some small amount of surface rust is beginning to show up along the sides.

I would like to take it to a gunsmith for restoration. Any thoughts or ideas along those lines would be greatly appreciated. I've never done any restoration on a firearm before, just general cleaning.:rolleyes:
  2. Michael Anderson

3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

What needs restored on it?, Look at the serial number, the prefix will tell you the year. 1959-S,1960-T.-1961-U. 1962-V, 1963-W. Mine was made in 1949, F- Pre fix, it's worn, still looks good, I would never thing of restoring it. How ever your gun, there's nothing wrong with re bluing it and refinishing the stock. Your not going to lose any collectors value on it, too many made and still being made.:) JMHO
  4. Michael Anderson

I was mainly concerned about the rust. Do you have to re-blue it if the rust is removed?
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

No, you don't have to re blue, just remove the rust with some 0000 steel wool and light machine oil ( 3 in 1 works just fine ) and keep a light coat of oil on it. If you do want it re-blued there's a gunsmith in Florida that every one says is very good. Even a few gunsmiths send him work. On the Numrich forum, under gunsmithing, ask for J.E.B. Because I've never used him that's as far as I'll go on a recommendation, but you can read what others have said. Now another opinion, I believe the Marlin 39 is one of the best .22 rifles made, take care of it and it will do every thing but tap-dance. In reference to mine, not counting all the dangerous targets it has killed, I can't count how many small critters it has dispatched
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I have very successfully removed light rust with a 6-0 steelwool and oil by rubbing it very lightly. If done properly, it will NOT harm the blueing that might remain. My original 39 was purchased in late 1939, used down East on the Maine coast during the war [WWII] and needed this type treatment from the salt air. It was in nearly original condition, even after the light rust removal, until stolen in the early nineties.

I replaced with another in 1998. Although it is still my favorite shooting iron and I wouldn't trade it for anything, I would give my left arm to have my original back. Both were and are extremely accurate. Many a rabbit, squirrel and crow has been taken with them.....
  7. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

if it were mine i wouldnt reblue as i like a gun with some patina.
  8. Rooger

Rooger New Member

I recently used an inexpensive re-bluing kit by Birchwood Casey on a .22 rifle and it came out darn nice. If you DIY, be sure you follow the directions carefully especially the one about taking your time.