Marlin M60 acceptable accuracy

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by permafrost, Nov 13, 2010.

1. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I've been shooting my model 60 at 100 yards with a BSA sweet 223 scope. 3-12x40 . Can't seem to get over 3" accuracy with federal 40 gr. ammo (old) Any ideas as to better ammo? Should I expect better accuracy at this distance? Was kinda windy. Thanks in advance
  2. Naybor

Naybor New Member

Wow, I'd say that's a good scope for the model 60!! A 3 - 12 x 40 Bushnell is what I use. I think you may have hit on the reason by blaming the wind. The little bullet is much affected by it.

Also every rifle, even of the same make and model, may have different barrel "harmonics".
    Therefore, may require a different brand of ammo for the best accuracy.

I use my Model 60 for up to 50 yards, and my Model 25MN .22 mag. for 100 - 125.

IMHO, these are the most accurate rifles made, but all .22's have their limitations with distance.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

id say you could get better accuracy with a different ammo. just have to find what your gun likes. but i'd say 3" on a windy day with regular ammo is pretty good for 100yards with a 22
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    My 1964 Marlin 60 will shoot 2" on an exceptional day with perfect light and wind conditions, 3" is a typical good day and sometimes 6" is very satisfactory. If you are looking for one hole groups at 100 yards with a 22 LR you might consider staying inside a 100 yard indoor range where you can control all those pesky variables. Now quit yer bitchin and enjoy the fact that you did good.
  5. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I'd say that's very acceptable, but you could likely do better.
    Every .22 has its preffered diet. You'll need to try different brands and shoot it to find out.

It can take 20+ shots for your barrel to get accustomed to the ammo used.
    Shoot an entire box at one outing, but concentrate on the last 20 rounds fired. That's when you'll know how it likes it.

Clean the bore when differing ammo and start over, shooting an entire box.
    When you find the ammo the rifle likes, DON'T clean the bore until accuracy drops off. By all means, feel free to clean the action after every outing.

My understanding is Federal bulk is generally an all around good round for anything. If you're after precision, you'll need to do the work. And there are lots of variables. Lead vs jacked. Round nose vs hollow point. 36, 38, 40 grain.

Stay away from anything hypersonic. The bullet wt simply can't overcome the destabilizing effects of breaking the sound barrier. You will find that subsonic ammo is generally more expensive, but much more accurate. In the US, we've been raised that faster is better. Not the case for .22s.

Good luck and good shooting.:cool:
  6. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Thanks Lots, Guys for the responses. Maybe I'm expecting to much, but will get my cheap butt to Academy and get some different brandsof ammo. This was Dad's gun and it's been shot very little since he passed in '92 . I was reading the posts here and thought I' give it a try at longer distance. Tried before with a cheaper scope, but got nowhere and gave up. Hell,this may be fun!
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

and to add to bobs hypersonic ammo thing, the marlin 60s microgroove barrel wont grip the bullet if the velocity is much over 1600 fps, which rules out stingers and velocitors and aguila interceptors just to name a few... usually the first round will hit the POA but all the rest will look like they were shot from a shotgun and your bore will be caked with lead and copper plating...
  8. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Also, do a pillar-bedding job on the Marlin 60, it'll tighten groups by about half across all ranges.

Fatter bullets (jacketed) tend to work better in Marlins...break out a Micrometer & check each type.

Standard Velocity ammo (Target) will work wonders.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  9. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Fantastic! This just the type of info I am looking for. Been through alot of centerfire stuff, haven't paid much attention to the 22 lr. I had always kept it at 25-50 yds. I'll try some of this stuff. Big bores are starting to hurt more, not to mention the expense! Whole new arena to play in.
  10. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I don't know that jacketed rounds are fatter, but the bedding is a very good idea.:cool:

Get one of these while you're at it.

http://www.spee-d-loader.net/
  11. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

What about the thumb hole stock i've seen from time to time at Boyd's Gun Stocks, anyone have experience with them ? I see them on sale occasionally. Apparently they don't make them all the time. Worth the effort?
  12. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Won't make it shoot any better. Use the money for ammo.
  13. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

To add a bit to what Bobitis was saying....True competetive target shooters want a bullet to either start and hit the target supersonic, or stay subsonic all the way to the target. When a bullet is transitioning to subsonic flight it is upset slightly as the shock wave it made as it was supersonic diminishes....and it wobbles a bit. I once read a subsonic or "standard velocity" (1085fps) would drift less in a 10-15 mph cross wind than a supersonic "high velocity" load would. Find that hard to believe, as the slower bullet is has more time to be deflected....So out comes the 15 lb. 52D Wincester target rifle, with a 16X scope. and I shot in a measured 12mph cross wind at 50 yds. Much to my surprise not only was the group made by the standard load 1/3 of the size, it driffed about half as far as the high speed load. I did this repeatedly to be sure of what I was seeing....:p:)

The ammo I ws shooting was "match" ammo at $6 per box (Wolf match extra)the high speed was bulk Winchester. the wolf is 0.25 or so groups (subtracting bore size) the H.S. Winchester did more like 0.75 @ 50yd. Wind drift was around 2.5" with the H. speed load, and about 1.25" with the Wolf. Interesting stuff......

regards, Kirk
  14. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    nothing new here,as was said try different ammo.i always buy different single boxes of ammo with a new to me 22.i also suggest you start at a shorter diistance and then work your way further.i am taking for granted you are using a sand bag rest and not shooting free hand.i am sure you will get better accuracy.i would not suggest you get one inch groups although you may but this is more a plinker than a target rifle. old semperfi
  15. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Personally, I LOVE 'em. Gives you an excuse to pillar bed your 60 in a Brand New stock :D

Here's the one I did for my Wifey's birthday :)
    [​IMG]

Literally TWO HOURS AGO...I got this in the mail...

a Pink DIP trigger Guard...you know where it's going, Wifey's Rifle!!
    [​IMG]

Yeah, they're worth it :D
    For not only the look, but the feel!! Heaps better than a synthetic stock!!

Plus, even if you have an OLD Model 60...with the egg-ended trigger guard, you can still
    use a Boyd's stock, you just have to use a New Model trigger guard or DIP trigger guard set.
    I prefer the DIP trigger & trigger guard combo, as they resolve all kindsa trigger issues.
    http://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3603
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010