Marlin model 20 mag question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by triplebike, Oct 29, 2009.

1. triplebike

triplebike New Member

I picked up a Marlin model 20 & was having some issues with the Mag feeding. I have since purchased a new mag for it & the feeding issue has improved greatly, but it's still not 100%. I was in a gun shop today & they had the same rifle with a new mag installed. I noticed that it was much tighter (less play) than mine. Is there any way to tighten up the sloppiness of the mag on my rifle. I hope I'm explaining this correctly. Thanks all!
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Its usually the relationship between the mag catch and the mag guard plate (attached to the bottom of the stock). The guard plate gets loose on the bottom of the stock or the stock swells slightly to open up the gap. The mag catch clips into the guard plate. I had this problem with a friends gun about 5 years ago. I think we actually inlet the stock a little were the guard plate sits to tighten things up. Can you take a picture of were the mag goes into the stock. I want to make sure I'm not confusing this with another similar design.
    A quick way to tell if your problems will be solved by tightening up the mag is to hold the mag from the bottom and push up on it while shooting. If it fixes the feed problem then make the adjustment.
  3. triplebike

triplebike New Member

Hey Helix FR, Thanks for the reply. I'm going to tear into it early next week. I will take some photos & try to figure out how to post them here.
  4. Harleydog

Harleydog New Member

Another area to check on this model is the cartridge guide spring. if it gets bent or broken it will cause feed issues.

Harleydog
  5. triplebike

triplebike New Member

Re: Marlin model 20 mag question / update

I removed the stock & adjusted the " Magazine Receiver Catch " . I haven't shot it yet but I did cycle about a dozen mags through it & it performed perfectly. Since it's less than 5 dollar part I will order a brand new one but I'm pretty sure that my mag problem with this rifle is over. Thanks all!