1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

marlin model 38

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by lukec, Mar 28, 2012.

1. lukec

lukec New Member

Hello,I'm having trouble finding an inner and outer mag tubes. I've found some half mags but there only 14 inchs. Mine is 15 5/16 inchs with the latch. Were these made just for the mod.38? Any info will be great. Thanks lukec
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum have u tried numeric
  3. aaronphilip

aaronphilip New Member

I too didn't find anything good for your question. Check out this link hope you get something 'http://www.gunsinternational.com/Marlin-Model-38-Pump-Action-22-Caliber-Rifle-S-N-A4310.cfm?gun_id=100218602'
  4. lukec

lukec New Member

Thanks Beth, I have tryed them but no luck

aaronphilip,I will check right now
  5. lukec

lukec New Member

aaronphilip-found that one for sale and the receiver looks rougher then mine. Do they go for that much? but did not find any parts. Thanks
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

How about oldguns.net
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

brownells or oldguns.net
  8. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

The Model 32 and Model 38 used the same magazine tube. Replacements can be made.
  9. lukec

lukec New Member

Thanks beth i will try oldguns.net, i have tried brownells,jackfirst,midway, wisners,westerngun parts and a few others

StoneyChimney-will most gunsmiths do this modification?
  10. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Probably not. Most shops or individuals these days that call themselves gunsmiths are merely parts replacers.

The Marlin 38 had an outer magazine tube that pulls forward to expose the loading port inside the inner magazine tube. Do you have any of these parts? Do they need repair or are they missing entirely?
  11. lukec

lukec New Member

i do have the parts,they are bent and a few years ago my brother tryed to fix it. He cut the little krimp that pulls the follewer up and also cut a groove in it to relaeve pressure at the bent to pull them apart. A TRUE HACK JOB....
    I was looking at wisners and found a updated tube for a 39 that has the dovetailed ring. It will eliminate the mounted latch and give me a full mag. I just need to file a groove to accomodate for the new ring location. Sounds like it will works, but goin to call tham tomarro.
  12. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Depending on how badly he cut up the outer magazine tube, it can probably be repaired. Wisner's conversions parts may work, although I am not sure about the outer diameter of the outside mag tube fitting into the receiver. Mic your tube and have that dimension when you call Wisner's. Also, your current tube fastens to the underside of the barrel with a screw. In order for the magazine conversion to fit properly, you will have to eliminate the screw boss and create a new dovetail slot in the underside of the barrel for the magazine support ring. If I'm reading right, you plan to hand file the dovetail slot.

Please consider at least having a gunsmith/machinist mill the dovetail for you.
  13. lukec

lukec New Member

No just using the old dovetail spot, just need to file notch in the tube. Just need to find a micrometer now
  14. lukec

lukec New Member

Stonechimney-I will sent you pics of the tube and get your input on what i should do, it might be fixable. And you were right that outer tube on that conversion kit do'nt fit in receiver
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  15. lukec

lukec New Member

stonechimney-could i get an e-mail address to send pics to,i can't figure out how to on here. Thanks