Marlin Model 56 disassemly

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by jhmdlh, Feb 24, 2009.

1. jhmdlh

jhmdlh New Member

I recently purchased an early Marlin Model 56 (straight stock, 24 inch barrel, steel receiver) and wondered if anyone knows where I can get an owners manual or if anyone can give me hints about disassembly for cleaning. I think I'm going to have fun with this gun and am really impressed with it's accuracy. It has a very fast action and will be good (and cheaper shooting) compliment to my Savage 99. Anyone have any comments on their Model 56?
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

First of all welcome to The Firearms Forum, hope you enjoy your stay.

I have a Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly that has a section on the Marlin Model 57. It says that the instructions will also work for the Model 56. If you would like a copy the pages from the book, please PM me with your address and I will mail you a copy.
  3. Mainspring

Mainspring Member

Welcome to the forum. I don't own one but I did dismantle one that was in a house fire. If I remember correctly if you take out the Front take down screw that goes through the forearm and the rear takedown screw, which goes through the trigger plate, you can pull the barrel, receiver, and inner workings out of the stock. Then you can take out the two screws at both ends of the receiver and this allows the bolt and lower assembly to separate from the receiver. If you take notice the lower assembly pieces are all between the two sideplates and are held together by pins. Unless you have a schematic, I recommend you don't start punching out the pins because you are going to end up with a lot of pieces. At this point you can properly clean the receiver and barrel. If the finger lever travels through the stock without having to remove it from the lower assembly you can now place the lower assembly in a dip tank to clean it. I used an air gun to dry out the lower assembly and then sprayed the inside pieces with Remington oil in a spray can. I used gun grease on the bolt and inner receiver. It worked real smooth. If you look on NUMRICH gun parts they might have a schematic for a 56. If not, look for a 57, it's the same except it has a tube magazine instead of a clip. I really like the early 56 with the steel receiver. If yours has a serial number you’re lucky because the only the early ones were numbered. Hope this helps and have fun with it!
  4. jhmdlh

jhmdlh New Member

Thanks for the responses. I've sent off a message to GDMOODY to take him up on his offer. This gun doesn't have a serial number so it must have been made after they stopped putting serial numbers on them but before they cut the barrel down to 22", made the receivers out of aluminum, and started using Monte Carlo stocks on them.