Marlin Model 60 SB

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by ngzcaz, Nov 11, 2005.

1. ngzcaz

ngzcaz New Member

If this had been covered recently. I apologize in advance
    as I'm a new member. I recently purchased a new Model 60
    put on a rifle scope and started having fun. I'm puzzled by the
    reports of jamming with this gun. Federals seem to be flawless
    so far. No malfunctions or misfires of any kind. As a retired
    police officer, I cannot and will not tolerate any FTF or related
    problems even though my life doesnt depend on a fun rifle. Its just
    a pain in the butt to screw around with a gun when you should be
    having a good time.
    Havent had a bench to truly test accuracy but it seems to be
    a good shooter. The one negative is the heavy trigger pull. Another
    website listed a no cost trigger mod that I will try and post if
    successful. If that works, this will be a great gun. If there are any
    out there w/ this gun. I'd welcome comments on either side.

:)
  2. lead

lead Active Member

Welcome to the forum!
    Model 60's are great guns. That's why they have been Marlin's best sellers for years. I think the only time people have problems with them are, if they use standard velocity ammo that doesn't cycle the semi-auto action as well as high velocity, or after a couple years of shooting and never cleaning the gun. I used to work in a gun store and we would see semi-auto .22's come in regularly. The owner would say it's jamming and he wants to trade it. We'd find out that he had it for 5 years and never cleaned it.
    Take care of it and the Marlin will never let you down.
    I'm not familiar with aftermarket triggers for these, I'm sure someone will come on here with more advice.
    Good luck.
  3. ngzcaz

ngzcaz New Member

I'll post this w/ a disclaimer that I havent yet tried it and can't
    verify its claim. Another forum's member stated the Model 60's
    trigger can be eased up simply by taking out the trigger guard
    and pulling the trigger, then reinstalling. It was also stated one
    could further reduce the pull by a dab of moly or tetra grease
    and/or cutting off a coil or two from the hammer spring.
    As I stated previously, I'll post a result when I try it. It may
    be interesting to note that I contacted a reputable gunsmith
    about a trigger job for the Marlin and after a bit of hemming and
    hawing, he declined to even mess with it. Just thought I'd add
    that in case anyone other than me is stupid enough to do it
    w/ a new weapon still under warrenty. The warrenty will probably
    be void but thats ok, I'd rather have it the way I want it rather
    than the way it is.

:)
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Welcome to TFF and good luck with your project.

Keep that Mod 60 action clean and it will work forever.
  5. PLINKER45

PLINKER45 Member

I have a model 60 that i bought about 6 years ago. the only problem i have had is with standard velocity ammo. I usually use the federal box ammo from walmart and have never had a pproblem with it. Keep it clean and it will last forever.
  6. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Great little guns.
    Never had any problem with mine.....until they got dirty.
    I have to agree with the rest, keep it clean, and you shouldn't have any other problems with it.
  7. kingjoey

kingjoey New Member

I have an old one that my dad got as a kid and the two halves of the loader assy had separated and was causing some feed problems. I've seen a few Marlin 60's since then that have had the same problem. Also the nylon bolt buffers will sometimes need replaced. Outside of that it is a very reliable setup
  8. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Anyone who tells you the Marlin Model 60 is prone to jamming is using the wrong ammo.

Or he works for Ruger or Remington.

Like "lead" says, the Mod 60 has been Marlin's bestselling .22 for years and years.
  9. ken w.

ken w. Member

Marlin model 60's are prone to jam because of a couple of things.The older marlins needed a feedthroat conversion kit to update the feedthroat and lifter and spring.This new style had a wire ejector instead of one molded to the feedthroat that tended to fail and prevent proper ejection.If the wire ejector isn't at the correct angle,it will eject poorly.The main reason is lack of cleaning and wrong lubricant.I would recommend a very light spray of Remoil after cleaning it well.Less lubricant is better.This is the most dependable autoloader for the money.
  10. GrandpaJoe

GrandpaJoe New Member

I want to jump into the discussion about Marlin Model 60's. I agree, they are the best .22 semi-auto on the market for the money. The only other one that comes close is the Ruger 10-22 but more expensive. My comments are directed at the older model Mod.60 with the feed throat that had the ejector as an interegal part. The one I have had been worked on a lot and efforts had been made to keep it going. Finally it came to me as a parts gun. The July issue of American Gunsmith goes into much detail about the changes that have taken place in the Mod.60 including changing the feed throat with a conversion kit. I decided to try to fix the problem since I have more time than money and with nothing to lose. Since I had the parts, I changed both extractors and heavied up the spring on the left extractor, filed about .030" off of the flats in front of the ejector and squared up the ejector, actually did all of this in stages trying the operation after each change with multiple brands of ammo. The longest being Winchester hollow points, had to open the bullet end of the throat to allow this ammo to be elevated. Finally made it work, Just ran 100 rounds through it with no malfunction. Conclusion, the American Gunsmith was a fine guide and I would recomend that publication to all. The problem was made to go away on this particular gun, no guarantee that it will on others but works fine on mine, you might want to try it.
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i have 2 marling 60's the tube fed i just got was jamming on any ammo i put in it sent it back to Marlin now it shoots all ammo except wolf love that gun totally love it
  12. GrandpaJoe

GrandpaJoe New Member

Beth; please tell me how to get my message on the thread listing so that I can get input from other members. I am unfamillar with the system. Thanks for any help
  13. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Active Member

Above all the thread listing is a blue button that says "New Thread". Click it.
  14. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Active Member

If that website is rimfirecentral most the tricks there won't void any warranties, polishing parts/replacing springs(cutting springs may, but if you never need to send it in just buy a factory spring and put it back in, they're cheap). It will also take about 10-15 minutes to do. Many people with zero gunsmith experience have done the mods just fine, including first time gun owners. I would find a gunsmith who doesn't fancy himself an elitist. I mean with 11 million+ Marlin 60s sold, and being a "reputable gunsmith" he has to have had one come across his counter before. It wasn't that he didn't know the rifle or that he was afraid of voiding a warranty, I believe he simply thought a trigger job on a stock .22lr was beneath him.

As others have said, keep it clean and your grandkids will be enjoying it(their grandkids if you already have them).
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  15. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

The Marlin 60 trigger system is a severly clunky system with twice or more parts used to make it work than most any other gun. It lends itself to SAFE modification very reluctantly and for these reasons, gunsmiths will not put their livlihood in jeopardy doing a trigger job on this or most other inexpensive guns like it. Most folks I have talked to (inc some smiths) don't really understand how the entire system works. One man (a self-made "smith" I hate to say) thought that a reduction of hammer spring coils would work and soon came to see that the hammer spring is part of the overall recoil reduction of the bolt travel and crushed the buffer on the second shot....(so much for cutting springs). Most in the gunsmithing field I am aware of (inc myself) think that trying to use factory parts to get a real nice trigger on 60 is kinda like inviting a dumptruck to LeMans. On the other hand, it IS possible with enough work by a man that is truly understanding of the system and is not so busy that he can take the time to mark, stone and fit, reassemble and test (repeat...repeat...repeat) until an acceptable pull is reached (and you have a customer willing to pay for his time). The view is quite different from the other side of the fence.