Marlin Model 60 vs Model 60W

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by retired1, Nov 4, 2006.

1. retired1

retired1 New Member

Hi all,

Does anyone happen to know the difference between the Model 60 and the model 60W. My barrel is stamped 60W.

Thanks, Bob
  2. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

can't answer question, but welcome aboard
  3. retired1

retired1 New Member

Thank you Nighthawk, sort of feels like home.
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Not sure but are attempting to find answer. Neither the Blue Book nor the Standard Catalogue of firearms lists the Model 60W.

Have asked several Marlin experts for this one. Hopefully we will have an answer in the not too distant.
  5. retired1

retired1 New Member

Thanks Marlin, I have tried everything I could think of short of visiting the factory and have gotten no satisfaction. I once found one on eBay and questioned the seller but to no avail.

The S/N is 06175xxx if that may be any help.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  6. lead

lead Well-Known Member

I'm kinda guessing here, but Marlin put out a number of variations of it's model 60 over the years. Sometimes the model number indicted what the variation was. For instance the 60SS was the stainless steel version.
    Is the stock walnut? It could just mean the type stock, as opposed to the standard birch stock.
    Regardless, it is the same action, which is a proven work horse. Every shooter should have at least one model 60 in their collection.
  7. retired1

retired1 New Member

Hi Lead,

Your assumption is probably 100% correct.

The weapon was purchased by my son at a yard sale for -> $5.00 <- last year without the stock or trigger and I am just getting the hankering to restock it. I have the trigger on order and have narrowed the stock choices down to 2.

All of the parts are in near new condition and just so the "W" doesn't stand for "whoops" it will be out on the range with my grandson come spring.

We checked the S/N with our PD and it came back clean.
  8. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

60W

This is the gold trigger edition and has the gold seal in-set in the butt
    Other than that a 60
  9. retired1

retired1 New Member

THANKS 22WRF that answer has been a long time coming, should have asked you a year ago.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my problem.

I just joined today and this is a Rolls Royce of forums. Thanks again guys.
  10. Marlin

The "W" indicated a walnut stock that did have both an embedded medallion and a golden trigger. All other Model 60s, with plain wooden stocks are birch finished to look like walnut.

Some of the older Glenfield Model 60s also had walnut stocks but did not have any other special designation. SoMo has one of the nicer Glenfields with the darker and richer wood. The older models also had metal parts in the inner workings, rather than the flimsier breakable plastic parts in the current runs.
  11. retired1

retired1 New Member

Hi Marlin,

Thanks for your time & efforts, my son paid $5.00 for this at a yard sale less the stock & trigger, the trigger is on order and I have narrowed the stock choice down to 2. There are all metal parts in the action.

Come Spring this 60W will be on the range with my grandson.

Thanks again to everyone.

Bob
  12. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Retired
  13. Marlin

Sounds as though you snatched a great buy, retired. It will make a fine rifle for your Grandson.

I purchased a Model 60 back when my youngest was about six, after he had learned to fire my Model 39.
  14. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Where are those $5 deals when I'M yard saling????:mad: :cool: :p

But then come to think of it, the snow blade I mounted on the garden tractor last year, that I just got from out back to put back on the tractor in the next few weeks, still has the little pink sticker on the blade with the "$5" on it barely legible, so maybe it's just the $5 GUNS I miss out on....:p :p :p
  15. retired1

retired1 New Member

I'm a relocated Texas boy and got a used 39 on my 5th birthday in '44, all 4 of my children grew up with that rifle from ages 5 or 6 and on their 12th birthday they each got their own. I guess you could say that the Marlin-39 is a family tradition here.

They all still shoot and a brick of 22's is better than what some of their friends are buying on the street.

Thanks again, Bob