Marlin Model 60 vs Model 60W

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by retired1, Nov 4, 2006.

1. ueckhaus1

ueckhaus1 New Member

Compaired my model 60W to my soon-to-be son-in-laws model 60. My 60W has the same walnut finished birch stock, but my magazine tube is about 4" shorter than the bbl, while his model 60's tube runs all the way to the end. My 60W has the bolt release in front of the triggergaurd, his doesn't have one. My 60W has the Safety, Ethics, Marksmanship medalion in the stock, his has none. Mine has the gold trigger, his doesn't.

Glenn

P.S. Mine knows how to shoot, his doesn't!

"If you know how many guns you own, you don't own enough!"
  2. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

yeah, they made several diff little versions of the mod 60. if you have one made before 1989, you proly have one , with the tube that will hold 17 rounds. the max now is 14,post 1988. also the bbl itself was made to many diff lengths it seems, from 18 inches to 22 inches. So if you have a pre 89 with an 18 inch bbl, and the 17round tube, they will look like they are the same length.
    the ones that have the coin in the stock, are usually the ducks unlimited model, unless otherwise it will say nra. they may or may not have a gold trigger guard, and they may or may not be a walnut stock.
  3. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

ueck, it sounds like your son in law has a pre 85 model, which I think was the first year they did the bolt hold open on last shot, bolt release switch.
  4. ky riffleman

ky riffleman New Member

there is no difference in the performance of the model 60 & 60w !!! the mod. 60's stock is made of birch wood and the 60w's stock is made of walnut wood. trust me on this i contacted marlin myself and that is what i was told...
  5. ky riffleman

ky riffleman New Member

walnut stock is what the w stands for.
  6. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

The Marlin's 60's are awesome firearms, with your checkbook, I like raydcarters idea
  7. Model721

Model721 New Member

Marlin Glenfield Model 60W was a commemorative edition with walnut finish, gold finish trigger,gold seal in the butt stock that read "sportsmanship, safety ethics" and icon of man and youth shooting. It also featured brass feed tube (most earlier mod 60's has steel), and a15 round capacity. Value ranges depending on condition but averages in the $100 to $200 range. Excellent condition rifles with all the packaging etc... can run $200 to $500 ( all about what the buyer will pay?) They were a special 125th anniversary edition for the NRA (1996). The capacity of the rifle was reduced to a 15 round maximum limit, to meet New Jersey's firearms law for semi-automatic assault weapons. The Model 60w rifle had the "last shot hold bolt open" feature. Marlin used proprietary Micro-Groove rifling in the Model 60. The twist rate is 1:16 inches, right-hand. Micro-Groove rifling uses 16 small lands and grooves rather than 4, 6 or 8 deeper grooves used in most rifles. This increased the accuracy of the rifle by lessening deformation of fired bullets traveling down the barrel. Although the Model 60 is one of the least expensive .22 semi-automatic rifles sold, it has the reputation of being one of the most accurate rifles out of the box, with no modifications necessary.
    Although a lot of these rifles were prob. sold through Wal-Mart ( mine included) I found no evidence that is what W stands for. Also the rifle has a walnut (finish) but the grain and texture appears to be the traditional birch common in older Mod 60's. Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  8. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Any thoughts on a marlin 600. I have one in excelent condition, no packaging, it's probably been to the range 6 times.
    Terry
  9. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Model721, welcome.

That is the most complete and accurate explanation of the "W" controversy I have seen. I have one manufactured in 1994 and it has the seal in the stock and the gold trigger. The stock while stained to look like walnut is not walnut but stained birch. None of this adds or detracts from the fact it is one great little rifle and everyone should have one.
  10. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

The 600 was a Store Brand sold thru Coast to Coast/Big 5 stores.
    It's a 60, just by another name.

Here's a pretty much complete Store Brand Listing of Marlins :)
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355471
  11. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

12. Spade29

Spade29 New Member

I got marlin model 60w 22 long rifle with the gold trigger and gold medallion how much is it worth
  13. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Welcome Spade29. Your little Marlin is not worth a lot of money as a collector fire arm but it is one of the nicest little semi auto shooters made. I also have one just like yours. Read "Model721's" post #28 in this thread for a bit of history on the 60W. Most of them will be in the $100 to $150 price range today depending on condition. If it was still like new with the original box and equipment it might bring a little more to a collector but they made a ton of Model 60's and are still putting them out. It is a great shooter so take it out and enjoy it. I was just shooting mine yesterday.
  14. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

The 60W is a special run Safety, Ethics, and Sportsmanship series and has a medallion embedded into the stock. It was meant to encourage adult shooters to teach young and beginning shooters proper safety, ethics and sportsmanship in the use of firearms. Other than the cosmetic differences it is the same as a regular 60. It does not have a walnut stock. They are not worth more than regular 60's. And it wasn't a store brand of the 60.
  15. Dennisdavis558585

Dennisdavis558585 New Member

I just bought a marlin 22 60w from my brother in law. He couldnt suite figure out why it was jamming. So I took it a part to clean, and thats when I found out what was wrong. Threw recoil spring was bent (the nice way of putting it). I can not find the spring anywhere. Is there a difference between the 60 and 60w when it comes to ordering parts?
  16. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder what the AS stands for on my Marlin 30-30
  17. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Nope. No diff for guts.
    And here's a nice link for springs...J&P makes the GOOD stuff :)
    https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=219
  18. 45nut

45nut Active Member

It's just a Marlin Model 60 made for Walmart. Nothing more, nothing less.
  19. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

The "W" doesn't stand for Walmart or Walnut, see CJ's post #35