Marlin model 60W semiauto failure

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Harris0088, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Harris0088

Harris0088 New Member

Hi. I have a model 60W marlin .22. Its semiautomatic but most of the time the semiauto doesn't work. The gun will fire the first round, eject the spent casing, jack a new one in, and when I pull the trigger nothing happens. I fiddled with it and foun out that if I pull back the action and take the new round out and let another live round go in, it will shoot. I was wondering if anyone knew what causes this and if so a way to fix it.
  2. Harris0088

Harris0088 New Member

I leave for basic training in Parris Island in less than three weeks and would like to get a chance to fire this bad boy before I go. Anything will help.
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Good luck with basic, Marine.

The first thing the experts are going to ask is have you given the action a good cleaning as semi autos failures most often result from the build up of crud in the action. I am not one of the experts, ha.

Big Shrek is one of the local experts on the Marlin semi auto rifles. You might consider sending him a Private Message if he doesn't pick up on your post soon.
  4. Harris0088

Harris0088 New Member

Thank you. It'll be hell for thirteen weeks, but I'm young, it won't hurt me any that's for sure. Yes I've taken the stock off and cleaned it thoroughly. It's fairly simple until you look at the inner workings of it. I decided not to touch anything until I get some sort of direction as where to look. It can't be a serious, I don't think anyway. I could be very very wrong. That's for the tip about big shrek, I sent him a message.
  5. Harris0088

Harris0088 New Member

6. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Clean the bolt thoroughly, paying attention to the firing pin channel. Check the chamber edges for burrs.

And, by "nothing happens" do you mean the hammer falls (goes 'click') but the cartridge does not fire, or does the trigger pull make no noise at all?
  7. Harris0088

Harris0088 New Member

Me saying "nothing happens" means that there is nothing happening in the gun. The trigger just moves and makes no noise.
  8. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Well, there's something happening but it's not the right something. Sounds like the hammer is not staying cocked with the gun is fired but will stay cocked when operated manually. Hard to diagnose without having the gun on the bench.

Remove the magazine tube and cycle the action numerous times to be sure it is unloaded. Remove the barrelled action from the rifle by unscrewing the large takedown screw midway up the stock and the rear takedown screw at the rear of the trigger guard. Remove the action assembly from the receiver by (depending on how old this gun is) either unscrewing the cap post from the front assembly post and pushing out the post then pushing out the rear assembly post, or simply removing the rear assembly post and rotating the rear of the action assembly down and then off the receiver.

Is the buffer broken (large white or black plastic object at the rear of the action assembly)? Look in the receiver and cycle the bolt to make sure it is moving smoothly for its full length of travel. Lastly, check the engagement of the hammer with the sear and disconnector.
  9. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

StoneChimney is right on the money!:)
  10. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

To help you get what your looking at/for.

The part stiicking almost vertical in the center of the mechanism is the hammer. Pushing it back (toward the plastic buffer) it should lock into place when about horizontal. The sear is what locks it into place which is directly forward of the hammer (second and third pics). Last pic is sear spring (maintains sear tension against hammer). Looking down into the mechanism from the rear of it, on the left side plate is the release. The trigger engages it just behind the hammer. You can push it forward with a small screwdriver to check functionality.

Attached Files: