Marlin Model 81...

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by polishshooter, May 27, 2008.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

My Brother in Law just gave me his JC Higgins Model 103.229 .22, which just so happens to be the first .22 rifle I ever shot, when I was about 9 or 10 years old. He gave it to me because it was unsafe to fire any more, the bolt wouldn't stay cocked and he had had a few ADs with it before he retired it to the attic about 15 years ago or so.

I remember it, and so does he, to be one of the most accurate .22 rifles he has ever owned.

Research shows it to be a Marlin Model 81, "New Style."

I plan on replacing the sear and trigger, and maybe the safety while I'm at it, but am having some problems with interchangeability.

Brownells lists parts for a Marlin Model "81TS," and "common parts" with the other B/A Marlins over the years, since the "New Style" came out in the 1950s.

Does anybody know if the trigger parts are standard on any Marlin BA .22s since then?

Brownells even offers a $65 competition adjustable trigger for Marlins that looks pretty darn close to what I have, but I don't know if it will work.

Anybody out there ever rebuilt one of these before?

The 23" barrel is pristine, the finish of the metal is about 90%, and the Walnut stock is NICE, no "painted lady" maple on this one!

I need to replace the cracked plastic buttplate, and replace the firing pin, which I guess was broken by so many people working the action and dry firing it trying to figure out if they could fix it for him, (they are available all over the place) and to replace the missing inner tube magazine, but that shouldn't be a problem. Brownells sells a "kit" that you can make a .22 tube for any rifle for like $15.

I figure if I can keep the repairs under $100 I will have a decent shooting rifle again, and maybe just surprise him back with it some Christmas!;)
  2. rick morris

rick morris New Member

Brownells is a great company for newer model guns but a site you might want to check is numrich gun parts they seem to have parts for more of your older guns.I restored a marlin model80 got all my parts from numrich and at a fair price . Just my opinion
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Call Brownells and ask for TECH help. They are knowledgeable and probably can answer your questions.

LDBennett
  4. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member