Marlin model 989 m2 cal 22 - questions

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by DHunt, Feb 4, 2012.

1. DHunt

DHunt New Member

I'm fairly new at handling guns, and have had a Marlin 898 M2 cal 22 rifle for many years. I believe the serial number is: 69xxxxxx. I have a few questions:
    1.) how can I get a manual for this model?
    2.) what year is this rifle?
    3.) where can I purchase the plastic buffer and recoil spring?
    4.) why does this rifle misfire? note, I have been using both American Eagle high velocity 40 grain solid grain and some old(came with the weapon) CCI Mini Mag rounds.
    PS I'm new to this site, and have found it very helpful.
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF DHunt.
    On the serial #, there isnt a letter prefix before the serial number is there?
    And as far as mis-fires, it may just need a real good cleaning.
  3. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Marlin Firearms will be able to answer most of your questions. For the most part you can take the first 2 numbers of the serial number and subtract it from 2000 to get the date of manufacture, unless it is newer than yr 2000. As far as misfires,old 22's will shoot and sometimes misfire, shoot new ones and check the hit on the empties and compare it to ones that misfire, could be u need a new spring and or firing pin. Hope this helps.:) Cliff , call me 978-424-7024 Cliff!
  4. DHunt

DHunt New Member

Zane and mrt, thank you for your responses. The serial number has no letter prefix and is 69368207 and according to mrt, the date of manufacture is 1931(69-2000), which is possible since it was given to me by a friend who got it from his father-in-law.

I am ordering a new plastic buffer and new spring. I just cleaned it for the first time! after using it for many years to slaughter pigs and then for a couple of years shooting woodchucks. I might install the new parts and try it before purchasing a new firing pin - or should I go ahead and order it?

Once again, thank you for the welcome and the advice. Cliff, thank you for the offer, I might call you at some point. Best, David
  5. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest