Marlin model 989 MR .22 cal rifle

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by jstouppe, Dec 4, 2010.

1. jstouppe

jstouppe New Member

I have acquired a very dirty Marlin model 989MR Cal.22LR that I want to clean and possibly replace parts. Does anyone know how I might get a manual or parts drawing for this rifle?
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

hello and welcome, there are a few people on here that are Marlin nuts and i am sure they will be able to help u. Have you tried contacting Marlin?
  3. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Someone call for a Marlin nut?? :D

Ok, the 989-M2, which was meant to be an M1-Carbine lookalike.
    Yep, 2, not an R, is the same as a Model 70 or 995 or 989 with the addition of a wooden handguard.

Which is the predeccessor of the Marlin Model 795, the difference between those is the LSHO
    (Last Shot Hold Open) feature & a bump in the magazine well that prevents Model 70 from being used.

So whatcha wanna do is use a Model 989-M2 manual.
    http://stevespages.com/pdf/marlin_60.pdf
    The manual doesn't go very in-depth...but the FTE thread below has links ;)

You can use Model 60 & 795 stocks if you decide to upgrade to a DIP Adjustable Trigger/guard kit.

But, those 989M2 walnut stocks were VERY nice...I've got one myself :)

A J&P spring Kit & replacement Buffer are the first things I usually change in an old Marlin.

Buffer from Marlin or brownell's/midway/Numrich...

Read my post on Model 60/795 FTE repairs here...
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?p=536458#post536458
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  4. cmj480

cmj480 New Member

Hey guys,

I have a marlin 22lr model 989, and Iwas looking to buy more clips, preferalby the 10 round. Is there any difference between the model 795 and the 989. I can only find 10 rd clips for the model 795, and was wondering if it will work on the model 989.
  5. Big Shrek

Don't call 'em clips, you'll have the old geezers up in arms...lol

Mags (box mag) from the 10-round OEM Marlin & 25-round Shooter's Ridge mag are backwards compatable.

The biggest difference between the 795 & 989/989M2/70/70HC/70P/995/etc..is the magwell bump.
    The bump prevents older 12-round OEM Marlin & 20-round Ramline mags (pre-1994) from being used in the 795,
    due to the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994, (thank you Bill Clinton, you bum) which expired in 2004 (YAY!)

Good cleaning & polishing instructional here...shows the Magwell Bump as well.
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368352

For those that don't have the bump, they can use the newer (post-1996) magazines.
    Sometimes you have to play with 'em a little, some have reported that the new Shooter's Ridge
    mags require a little backwards pressure to work right, so you slip in a piece of foam tape in the magwell
    for proper function.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  6. FRITZ1015

FRITZ1015 New Member

I just found this forum and I'm thrilled there are other people out there who love the 989M2!! I have a pretty much mint one from my uncle, hardly used by him, sat for a long time and now I aquired it. I threw a new scope on it and while sighting it in I had alot of FTF's (I dont think any FTE). My uncle said he never did a full take down cleaning so I did it the other day.
    Everything was somewhat dirty as expected but I cleaned and lubed everything.
    A few questions for you experts though:
    1) What brand/weight of ammo do you recommend for this rifle?
    2) My plastic buffer is broke in 2 pcs, I found a new one on brownells/midway, but what does that buffer even do functionally?
    3) Mine is old, not sure what yr but early for sure. I know if doesnt have the LSHO but even the old manual says that if you push the bolt in toward the receiver while pulled back it will lock in open. Mine does not do this at all...is something broke inside or do the early ones not even have this feature?
    Sorry for the long post just some stuff I've been dying to find someone to ask.

Thanks.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  7. Big Shrek

1. CCI Minimags or Blazer ammo. Most reliable .22lr ammo around.
    2. The buffer keeps the bolt from slamming into the receiver. Kinda important...
    I tell folks to replace the buffer every 20 years, whether it looks like it needs it or not.
    Trust me, it needs it. Plastic degrades over time...and finally breaks apart.
    You will probably also find small bits of plastic inside the action & trigger assembly.
    Take the time to Clean the whole rifle carefully & get all the shards out...they will cause jams.
    3. Some of the early ones don't have that feature. Or, its worn off on the inside. Could go either way.
    Mine doesn't. Its a 1966.
    [​IMG]

To tell the year of your 989M2, if it has a serial number, post the first two digits here, we'll tell ya what year it was made.

If it does not have a serial number (pre-1968 GCA), remove both halves of the stock & look for a two-letter code.
    No, its not the JM in a circle, that's the John Marlin Proofmark.
    Post the code, we'll tell ya what year it is :)

Also, while you are replacing the buffer, go ahead and get a J&P Spring kit for the Marlin 795.
    Same springs as a 989-M2/70/995/Katz1282/etc, alll the same rifle, just with different levels of Pimp.
    Springs should be replaced as often as the buffer, every 20 years.

When you clean & oil it, oil it LIGHTLY, as in, One Drop applied all over the action assembly with a fingertip.
    Then One Drop applied all over the Bolt...then let AIR DRY...then re-assemble.
    Clean action after every shooting trip...don't sweat the barrel unless you are in a humid area, or you're just OCD about cleaning...
    most folks wait until precision drops off, then clean the barrel :)

When you put the action & stock together, note how snug you make the two screws.
    Should not be overtightened, as that will bind the action.
    Should not allow movement of the action within the stock.
    Find the happy medium :)
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  8. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I bought a 10 round marlin mag and it wouldn't fit my model 70. I called Marlin on it cuz the only visible difference is the length/capacity. All they had to say about it is "The 10's are made for the 795, buy the 7's". Being stuborn I sanded down the 10 round till it fit. It was just a couple thousandths big from front to back but it took alot of sanding before it finaly went in without forcing it.
    I wonder if I just got a bad apple.
  9. Big Shrek

Might have...my 795 mags fit my 989M2 with no problem.
    after I removed the magwell bump, the 13-rd 989M2 mag fit the 795 nicely as well :D
  10. tdonnellyem

tdonnellyem New Member

hey now,
    found this forum looked for information about what the buffer does in a marlin. i inherited my dad's old marlin-its a model 99. has the 18 round brass tube rather than the stainless one. anyway the buffer is cracked but not broken and i have ordered a new one plus the recoil spring. just wondering how tough is it for a newbie to take apart the action to replace the buffer? i figure/think its just the e rings holding it together. biggest fear would be the hammer spings popping off and then what....
    also i looked for a two letter code in the stock and didnt find one. is it different for a model 99? barrel is clearly marked model 99. would really like to know what year its from. shoots fairly well. every once in a while i get a fte. figure it might be due to the fact ive never taken the action apart and never saw dad do it when i was a kid. figure try the buffer and spring first with a good cleaning and see where it leads to. thanks
  11. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

The E-clips do in fact hold the action assembly together. Before you separate them, cock the hammer and put the end of a straightened paper clip through the hole in the hammer strut.

If you run into trouble, click on my user name next to this post and send a private message.
  12. ka85

ka85 New Member

I just picked up a used 989M2 and I'm wondering how old it is. Anyone want to help me out?
    Serail Number: 72xxxx

I'm also a little curious about the 15 round plastic banana clip it came with. It has the Marlin logo and North Haven, Conn written on it (Part # 407946). Does that mean it is a Marlin factory mag? Either way, it was reliable with remmington bulk ammo, and the gun came with 4 mags, so I'm happy.

Thanks!
  13. FRITZ1015

FRITZ1015 New Member

Thank you so much for the help with this! I bought a new buffer and the J&P spring kit, havent had time to take it apart and make repairs yet but will soon.

It must not have the bolt hold open feature, I doubt its worn off because this rifle definitely hasn't seen much action.

OK now for the age of the rifle...no serial # to be found but I did find a 2-letter code. It has an "IJ" stamped on the barrel.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
  14. schultek1

schultek1 New Member

I also was handed down a 1963 Marlin 989 M2 from my father when he passed,,,GREAT GUN! (what i was taught with) He still had the ORIGINAL parts list and breakdown,,,i can scan it and email it to you.
    Keith
  15. Big Shrek

Sorry I missed this...

the IJ code is September of 1966 :)