Marlin rifles

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

GroovyTed1
    (11/27/02 9:35:06 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Marlin rifles
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Looking for what anyone has to say about the Marlin 45/70 or the Marlin 444 rifles... Or the 44mag rifles they make.

-gt

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/27/02 1:05:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Marlin rifles
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have shot one of the 45-70 Marlin guns, They are fun and loud and kick They are not unbearable to shoot and great dependable guns. Last time I looked at them they did not seem to be way overpriced. A friend has a 444 Marlin he likes.

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/27/02 4:01:53 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Marlin rifles
    I have both the Model 1895G and the regular 1895 along with a 1894 in .44 Mag. All are a hoot to shoot and you can clear the range real easy when those bad boys bark. Especially with Rem. 405 gr slugs. I also have the Browning 1886 and she is a beauty. The 1894 is fairly mild to shoot considering you have a pistol round in a rifle. Then again, if you roll your own loads, it gets very interesting with 300 gr Noslers and a case full of WW296. Then it starts to shine! Good luck on your choice. I do prefer the Browning.

I am not a native Texan, but I got here as fast as I could!

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/27/02 7:26:22 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Marlin rifles
    son has an 1895G in 45/70 great gun only 2 real and one perceived fault, the factory sights suck trash, them immediately, second the lawyer safety, lastly I'm partial to the full size 1895

GroovyTed1
    (11/28/02 11:06:52 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Marlin Rifles
    Thanks Guys...

What about availability and quality of factory ammo in 45/70 vs. 444?

Currently, I don't reload my own ammo, but will sometime before I'm dead, so for now I have to buy factory ammo.

I read an article somewhere that said handloaders would prefer the 45/70, while non-loaders would prefer the 444. However, I can find very little factory .444 ammo out there, and there seems to be a bit more available in 45/70. But, I also read that the 45/70's tend to be downloaded to be compatible with older guns...

-gt

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/28/02 11:20:53 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Marlin Rifles
    The gunshops I frequent have both. I think the 45-70 is easier to find. Walmart even has some.

Don't forget the 450 Marlin

GroovyTed1
    (11/28/02 12:00:52 pm)
    Hmmmmm.... the .450 marlin... Does anyone have one of these? Is it true that you can put 45/70 cartridges through this one as well?

-gt

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/28/02 12:09:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Marlin Rifles
    As the proud owner of a Marlin 1895LTD in 45-70, I can attest to it's fine handling qualities and accuracy with tweaked handloads. Never fired a factory round thru it, so don't know how well they work.

Took the factory buckhorn sight off and replaced with a Williams receiver peep sight - worked wonders! Added a Burris 2x7 pistol scope on a XS Lever Scout scope mount and found instant success!

Don't know if standard 45-70's can be chambered and safely fired in a .450, or not. That's someone else's option - I'm perfectly content with the one I have.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/28/02 10:31:52 pm)
    Got a 45-70 guide gun...fairly accurate, shoots handloads and factory equally well. Did what Ken did and put on a Williams receiver sight. Helped a lot...plan on keeping it. swede
    Wyoming Swede

Hadaway
    (12/5/02 12:40:07 am)
    I don't think you can shoot a 45-70 through a 450. The 450 is a belted case and is designed so that it won't chamber in a 45-70 chamber. Also, the rim on a 45-70 is larger than the 450 rim, so I'm not sure that you can close the bolt on a 45-70 in a 450 chamber.

I have built a lot of takedowns on the Marlins. 45-70, 450, 30-30, 35, 44 and 357 mag. All are great rifles. Stronger and smoother than any Winchester.

I really like the XS Ghost Ring sights. They are very fast and a good quality sight.

Thanks,
    Lee

www.thearmsroom.com

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/17/02 8:32:55 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 444/45-70/450M
    Majormagnum......welcome to TFF....and thanks for your input.

GroovyTed1
    (12/22/02 8:41:12 am)
    Thanks everyone for all the input!

-gt

Dave1
    (1/2/03 9:16:13 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del .444
    Hi,for a good factory load in .444 marlin why not try the new Hornady .444?/www.hornady.com/cgi-bin/...l&cart_id=

Airickf
    (1/5/03 11:41:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del How does the kick of a 45/70 compare to a shotgun?
    Hi,
    I'm thinking about buying a Marlin 1895GS 45/70. I never shot a 45/70 and was wondering how the kick compares to a 12 gauge shot gun shooting slugs.

thanks for your input,
    -Eric

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/6/03 2:35:11 pm)
    Welcome to the board, Airickf -

The 45-70 recoil depends on whether you're shooting factory or similar low to moderate loaded ammo, or handloads built up to maximize the potential of the Marlin 1895 type lever gun.

The lower to moderate loads could possibly be equated to a heavy slug load in a 12 gauge. The full load handloads will be a bit stronger. The key to handling the 1895 is to yank the factory recoil pad off and install either a Pachmyer Decelerator or a Kick-eze pad.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"
  2. rf396

rf396 New Member

Greetings,
    I have recently purchased a Marlin 1894c-357/38sp lever action rifle. This is my first Marlin, only my second lever action, (the other being a Henry 22cal.), and I'm also a novice, having gotten reinterested in target shooting after a 20 yr absence. My question is the following, The Marlin is obviously new and I am quite happy with it. The lever action seems to work fine as far as loading, cocking, firing and ejection of spent shells, but it seems a little (stiff?) Stiff is the best term I can think of. It was told to me by someone that this is normal and that after a time, 50-100 rounds in, that the action will be quite a bit smoother. Is this true? If not, do I need to get this back to a gunsmith and have it examined? The outfit I bought it from is well known, with a good reputation, and when I picked it up, they went over it, opening the chamber etc. and handed it right to me. I would assume that if this was not normal they would have pointed it out? ANY help I can get on this would be GREATLY appreciated. You can respond to rf396@aol.com or post a reply here. Thanks in advance.

Rick
  3. omegapd

omegapd New Member

It'll break in more after shooting. If you get bored, sit in front of the tv and rack that lever a few thousand times a night and you'll notice improvements. :)

They're great guns. I liked the 336 30-30 so much, I bought two of them.
  4. rf396

rf396 New Member

Omegapd, Thanks for the advice. Sounds about the same as others have told me so I'll go with your advice and work it in myself. Thanks very much.
    Rick
  5. cdg

cdg New Member

Operating the lever plus about 100 rounds will loosen it up. It sure has on my 336C in .30-30 anyway. I didn't think I was going to like my 336 at first, as the action was quite stiff.

Another thing that is commonly mistaken is when you clean your gun, to make the action absolutly drip with oil. The reality is that you will get a better feel with less oil. Don't feel the need to put the action together dry, but I normally wipe over the lever with some solvent, then I dry it up, then I apply a small ammount of oil with a clean patch to the lever, and about 2 or 3 drops on the bolt, spreading those drops around with a gloved finger. A hinge of oil in the extractor spring and the gun is ready to go back together.

This too will help your action feel a little smoother. If you apply the same kind of deal to your semi-autos, you will get more reliable firarms as well.
  6. Krag1899

Krag1899 New Member

New to the Marlin's board. I was never really a Marlin fan until this week. I purchased a 336 RC in 35 remington with a straight stock. Unfortunately, upon opening the box at the gunshop, it came out in 5 pieces. Poor shipping job and the mail monkeys will do that sometime. Anyway, I don't wanna send the gun back and have gotten a good settlement offer to keep the gun as is. What I need is a source to find a replacement straight stock. Can anybody help please ?
  7. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i have had the guide gun for a number of years in 45/70.i reload and you can bring specs up pretty hot.i guess my only complaint would be the recoil,this one is not ported.when i go to the range i tend to shoot approx 100 rounds per trip.the straight cases are easy to reload but eat a lot of powder.the day will come when i plan on having the barrel shortened ghost ring sights and an over sized lever.i dont think your going wrong in purchase old semperfi
  8. Tnhunter

Tnhunter New Member

Try this place:D:

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/MARLIN-336-STRAIGHT-GRIP-STOCK-p/300-336.htm