Marlin semi-auto 3/8ths rail issue

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Big Shrek, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

Man, I hate to do this more than anything...but this is ALL Marlin's fault.

I've gone over as many as I can physically find in my area...but the 3/8 rail that is currently cast into the 60 & 795 quite often is not true/plumb...and definitely not .43" wide all the way down it's length. And it seems to be affecting not only new Marlins, but also going back to 2001's!!

I'm getting mostly measurements of .43" to .46" down the length of the rails.

While this is VERY annoying, it's also fixable....one simply has to break out the files and work the rail a bit until it's down to proper tolerances, then repaint with Krylon Flat Black or Brownell's Bake-On for a longer lasting repair.

So before you wonder WTF? about your scope or mounts...start by looking at the rail with a digital caliper. In fact, it's best to do so BEFORE you order scope mounts/Tech-Sights.

I will point out that strangely, my 2005 Marlin model 60 is just fine. So it's not every one, but a good percentage....which usually means someone in Action Molds at Marlin ain't always checking things properly.

But heck, even with a screwy rail, they're so inexpensive & good shooting, a little extra rail work is worth it ;)
  2. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

It's not that unusual and not just Marlin.

Millet Angle-Loc rings for rimfires are the simplest solution to this problem.

[​IMG]
  3. JLA

JLA Moderator

I second the millet rings... theyre the best rimfire rings available... All a good Marlin 60 needs is a decent marbles semi buckhorn rear sight instead of that crummy factory one it comes with. I put one I salvaged off an old rolling block rifle and filed the front sight to a point (kinda like a k98 mauser sight) so it would fit the fine tangent 'U' in the marbles sight. its a rabbit killin sum8!+<# on the run... and spent shotshell hulls aint got a chance at 50 yds;)
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i beleive tasco makes a adapter to change from tip off to weaver type rings.i use them on all my 22s,that way i can always remove the weaver type and put them on high power rifles. old semperfi