Marlin to stop porting 45-70's???

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

WyomingSwede
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (2/5/02 7:47:45 am)
    | Edit | Del All Marlin to stop porting 45-70's???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just heard from one of our local gun dealers that Marlin is going to stop porting their 45-70's.
    He said that they didn't really give a reason...he thought liability reasons regarding the muzzle blast and hearing.
    What a crock...now are we required to take a set of earplugs in addition to trigger locks when we purchase a new rifle???
    Next thing you know is that remington will program their fancy litttle electronic rifle so that you cant squeeze the trigger unless it detects ear gear.
    Anyone else heard anything on this???
    Wyoming Swede

Zigzag2
    (2/5/02 8:16:08 am)
    | Edit | Del Re: Marlin to stop porting 45-70's???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not heard anything as of yet. Possibly Antiquedr will have that and all the latest poop for us when he get's back and settled in.
    I've been wanting 1 of them... maybe I should buy now before the market goes through the roof on them too!

LIKTOSHOOT
    (2/5/02 9:35:40 am)
    Well I had one for a short time, for big hogs on the river bottom. Sold it for two reasons, my lightweight body just could not take the punishment (sissy) and THAT FREAKIN MUZZLE BLAST! from the ported barrel. That thing would remove bark from trees at 20 feet. I don`t know about discontinuing it.....some like the punishing sound I guess, not me. Thats a big sound at the end of a short barrel, without porting. Now sitting at the range with ear protection is one thing, crawling through tanglefoot and briars is another.....cause you ain`t gonna be wearing protection (ears) very long. Regards LTS

Although, seeing one of those 405gr Hammerheads hit a giant hog....is something to behold.

warpig883
    (2/5/02 9:40:22 am)
    I will tell you it will not hurt my feelings at all.
    Porting does not belong on a hunting rifle where it is impractical to wear ear muffs. The Marlin is not a target rifle.

When Browning first came out with BOSS me and a friend mounted a scope on a brand new A-Bolt .270 with BOSS. He shot first I was standing even with his side and a little behind. I dropped to the ground holding my ears. He almost dropped the gun. Niether one of us could hear each other. After a few minutes and our hearing returned we decided it must have been a freak shell because there was no way that .270 could be so loud. So then I shot. Same results. That gun got put in the case and went into his closet never to be shot again. After a few years and many bleeding eardrums Browning came out with tthe conventional recoil adapter for the Boss rifles. When his wife asked my what I should get him for Christmas I told her to get one. Since then he has been able to use the rifle and enjoy it.

Target shooting is different. It is very practical and a neccescity to wear ear muffs. The reduced recoil of the ported guns would be easier on the shoulder after many rounds.

I have a muzzle brake on my Savage Striker. It can be turned on and off with a twist. I do not use it when sighting in or plinking. But for hunting I use it.
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

WyomingSwede
    (2/5/02 11:16:05 am)
    I like the guide gun as is. Rangewise yes to the ear protection. Huntingwise I have never had to shoot over once at an animal with it. That big bullet puts em down fast and I dont seem to notice it. I also think that the porting reduces recoil and helps get back on target quicker as compared to the non ported 45-70's that I have shot.
    What irks me is the lack of choice in the matter. Again we will be forced to vote with our pocketbooks.
    Wyoming Swede

LIKTOSHOOT
    (2/5/02 11:30:20 am)
    Well Swede, I agree some what. I have never had to make a second shot.....so getting back on target doesn`t matter too much to me, and I really don`t think the time to do so...is that much shorter, if you really need to do so. If you really do, the adeniline kicks in (big nasty bitey-scratchy critter) and you are strong and fast beyond compare. I have always jacked up another round, for the second shot....just trained reflex, but never needed it using that bigbore....as you stated, it does take them down. The problem I had was, it made it impossible to hunt over dogs and in teams of four people because of the blast. I have never believed that porting should be used on a hunting rifle....but thats just my HO. LTS

warpig883
    (2/5/02 1:24:13 pm)
    Not to mention the fact that the blast can and will breakout a cracked windshield when using the hood or box of a pickup for a rest.

It would be nice if they would offer it both ways.

Myself I will keep my ears from bleeding and stay away from muzzle breaks. The concussion hits your body so hard it is like getting hit with a brick. I bet it is not good for people with bad hearts.
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/6/02 8:58:37 am)
    | Edit | Del Re:
    without the porting the muzzle jump would be an issue especially with MAX type loads and it plainly states in the owner's manual not to fire it without hearing protection besides if the factory didn't port Magnaport and others would be doing a land office business "improving" these fine carbines firing the Guide Gun at daybreak or dusk certainly makes for an impressive pyrotechnic display

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/02 9:09:30 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Re:
    Well, I didnt hear any scuttlebutt at SHOT regarding this. The Guide Guns on display were ported.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/6/02 8:47:01 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Re:
    You are dead right about the fireworks Fredneck.

Heck I bet even my bb gun owners manual says to wear hearing protection.