1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Marlin X7 ?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by tim peterson, Mar 9, 2013.

1. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Howdy I am thinking about buying a Marlin X7 bolt action rifle cal 243. I have owned several marlins in the past and they are good guns. My problem is I know next to nothing about marlin bolt action rifles. So I am looking for Opionons,input or information on the X7 with the syn stock. Thanks for your time.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I personally like them. They are a bit of a mut action, taking features from many other actions. The trigger and headspacing is that of a Savage action, the footprint and safety system is similar to the Remington 700, the bolt assembly is strikingly similar to a weatherby vanguard. The action is a proprietary length, as the front action screw is drilled .250" too far forward to fit into a rem 700 stock. But Boyds does offer a very stable laminate stock for the Marlin X7.

I built a .25-06 sporter on a marlin X7 action for a local hunter. turned out to be a .5 MOA rifle even with the skinny barrel and I bedded it to the factory plaztik stock. The Actions do take standard savage small shank barrels. Which is a huge bonus IMO because it makes them cheaper to build/re-build..
  3. redworm

redworm New Member

I had a camo S/S in 7mm-08 shot it at the range a couple of years, very accurate little rifle. It seemed to like the 120 gr. federal fusion, good shooter. I would think you would be pleased, very accurate lite weight sporter an very reasonably priced................Redworm
  4. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

Have you looked into a Ruger American in the same price range? Just a thought.
  5. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

I did look at the Ruger American last weekend. Like it a lot.I also got some info on the new Remington 783 problem there is it might not come out in 243 until this summer. So now I am not sure what I want.
  6. redworm

redworm New Member

What old guy said.........I traded off my marlin an have been looking at the Ruger. I really like the stock better. The stock on the Ruger just seems to fit me better............Redworm..............