Marlin X7 ?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by tim peterson, Mar 9, 2013.

1. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Howdy I am thinking about buying a Marlin X7 bolt action rifle cal 243. I have owned several marlins in the past and they are good guns. My problem is I know next to nothing about marlin bolt action rifles. So I am looking for Opionons,input or information on the X7 with the syn stock. Thanks for your time.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I personally like them. They are a bit of a mut action, taking features from many other actions. The trigger and headspacing is that of a Savage action, the footprint and safety system is similar to the Remington 700, the bolt assembly is strikingly similar to a weatherby vanguard. The action is a proprietary length, as the front action screw is drilled .250" too far forward to fit into a rem 700 stock. But Boyds does offer a very stable laminate stock for the Marlin X7.

I built a .25-06 sporter on a marlin X7 action for a local hunter. turned out to be a .5 MOA rifle even with the skinny barrel and I bedded it to the factory plaztik stock. The Actions do take standard savage small shank barrels. Which is a huge bonus IMO because it makes them cheaper to build/re-build..
  3. redworm

redworm New Member

I had a camo S/S in 7mm-08 shot it at the range a couple of years, very accurate little rifle. It seemed to like the 120 gr. federal fusion, good shooter. I would think you would be pleased, very accurate lite weight sporter an very reasonably priced................Redworm
  4. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

Have you looked into a Ruger American in the same price range? Just a thought.
  5. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

I did look at the Ruger American last weekend. Like it a lot.I also got some info on the new Remington 783 problem there is it might not come out in 243 until this summer. So now I am not sure what I want.
  6. redworm

redworm New Member

What old guy said.........I traded off my marlin an have been looking at the Ruger. I really like the stock better. The stock on the Ruger just seems to fit me better............Redworm..............