Marlin XT22M Magnum questions

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by gun runner, Nov 24, 2011.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I got a new Marlin xt22m rifle thats the same one in my avatar and I set the scope perfect but every now and then the shots go somewhere where I dont want them to be but still around an 8 inch target. Is this because its a Remlin or because its the ammo? Im using CCI MAXI MAG ammo. Im just wondering because its a brand new gun with a brand new Redhead 3-9x50 scope. The scope before was a Redhead Long Range Scope but I cant remember the numbers but I couldnt get it on paper or anywhere I wanted the shots for anything so I decided to go with a new scope. Im not really trying to kill birds with it but I will say Ive owned several Marlin 60s before and still do and I shot sparrows heads off while aiming at their necks with cheap scopes but I cant understand this problem Im having. Thanks for any help! :eek:
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Make sure your scope mounts are solid first, then try different ammunition brands until you find one that groups best out of your rifle.
  3. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

You dont think Marlin made a defective rifle? Otherwise thanks for the info. I keep hearing that about ammo but Im using CCI and folks say its pretty good ammunition.
  4. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Each rifle has a preference for a certain type of ammo. If you have a chance ask your rifle..., or better yet, keep trying different ammo! Good luck.:)
  5. hansom

hansom Former Guest

Its not that Marlin doesnt make a defective Rifle, its just that Marlins are close to perfection as a Rifle can be.

In my years of shooting and currently owns about 60 Guns if that is not a scope base problem i dont know what is!

hansom
  6. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

:confused: I doubt the rifle is defective and the scope is good but the bullets are kinda drifting from one place to another randomly every once in a while
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Only other variable is the shooter...
  8. Freebore

Freebore New Member

I agree with JLA, operator error may be a factor here. Have a friend shoot a group with this rifle to see if he experiences the same pattern. Randon (shotgun) patterns are generally due to the shooter/wind/poor support, not the gun. Even a poorly bedded barrel or action will generally drift only in one direction, and not produce random groups. Increase your time between shots may help.

Good luck...
  9. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

hmm nah its not me I have a gun rest and still weather. So we can cross that out. Going to the farm today. Ill let you guys know with a picture of how it goes :)