Martini Henry Shotguns

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (2/5/02 8:15:20 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Martini Henry Shotguns
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Martini Henry actions were made in several different calibers, including a 14 gauge shotgun. A local company here in St. Louis has gotten hold of several hundred of the 14 gauge Martini Henrys, and they are reworking them to 12 gauge. They will be offering several different grades, including a fancy engraved version. I have used this company before to do some gunsmithing on several of my old Spanish revolvers, and they do excellent work. They specialize in old firearms in particular. If you are interested, the company is Odin Arms LTD., and they can be reached at 636-452-3459.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

RobC in Missouri
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/5/02 10:31:49 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Martini Henry Shotguns
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bob -

Sounds interesting. I've always been interested in these Martinis, but couldn't come up with a good reason for a wallhanger. Any ballpark ideas on the kind of prices they'll be asking (low-end grade, obviously)?

I know, I know, I should call them if I'm interested.

RobC in Missouri

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (2/5/02 10:56:06 am)
    Rob - one of the fellows from Odin normally comes to the SLAAA meetings. Are you coming tonight?

I don't know what their pricing structure is yet.

RobC in Missouri
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/5/02 1:28:37 pm)
    I should be there, barring unforeseen circumstances.

This raises some interesting questions. Sarco was selling these as antiques, no FFL required. Now, I have pretty good grasp on ATF regs, so I know once a gun is an antique, it's always an antique - for instance, you can have a sporter built on a pre-1898 receiver, and it would still be an antique (I recall several distributors selling such items over the years). It would seem these reworked Martinis would still retain their antique status, as long as the receiver is 1898 or older.

I guess the question is are these all pre-1899, or did they achieve antique status because they fired a cartridge that's no longer available in commercial channels? If it's the latter, then I could understand how a conversion to 12 gauge would cause it to lose the antique status. In a similar vein, I remember a brand new rifle produced a few years ago that could be sold as an antique because it was chambered in an unavailable caliber.

Oh well, I'm rambling. I'll save my questions for the rep tonight.

RobC in Missouri
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/6/02 12:14:05 am)
    Well, as you know by now, unforeseen circumstances (actually a honey-do). Did you get a chance to talk to the guy from Odin?

Shoot me an email if you want to take it off-list. Or hell, just tell me to call them myself.

RobC in Missouri
    hipower@gtw.net

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/02 7:46:09 am)
    He wasn't at the meeting last night either. Maybe just give them a call and get the details.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/02 1:58:30 pm)
    What the Heck is the SLAAA?

St Louis Area Alcoholics Anonymous?

St Louis Area Arms Addicts?

Symbionese Liberation Army Armorer's Auxilliary?

Wasn't that the nomenclature for the Brooklyn Class cruisers...no that was CLAA....

WHAT?
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Edited by: polishshooter at: 2/6/02 1:59:49 pm

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/02 3:18:06 pm)
    St. Louis Antique Arms Association.