MAS 49/56 semi-auto in .308

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by DOORGUNNER 60, Jun 1, 2003.

1. DOORGUNNER 60

DOORGUNNER 60 New Member

I have a MAS 49/56 in .308 and this is the second one that I have owned. Problem, It will not extract casings with any other the magazines installed but it will extract 48 out of 50 rounds with no magazine in it at all. I have toyed with making the gas system adjustable to offset the difference in chamber pressures of the the 7.5x54 compared to the .308 and it helped some. I have been able to get 4 rounds now and then to extract with a mag in it but that is all. I really like this ugly old rifle and it is very accurate especially after I retimed the barrel to 12 o'clock, I think someone at Century Arms must have been in a hurry to go home. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and does anyone know of any parts sources?
  2. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Hey Doorgunner...

Welcome to ya!...don't have an answer for you, but I'll help ya look around...[​IMG]
  3. john greene

john greene New Member

This want be any help, but i just thought you should know that a friend of mine had the same problem with his which was also in 308. He quickly returned the rifle to the dealer and got his money back. This seems to be a common problem for the 308 rifle. I have not heard of any problems from the 7.5 rifle, only that it is very, very loud. Best of luck in getting it fixed.
  4. Herb

Herb New Member

Ah Century Arms strikes once more. I believe part of the problem to be associated with the fact that the 308 Winchester rim measures .473" in diameter, while the 7.5x54 rim is about .485",I have successfully reloaded for my 7.5 in original chambering using the 6.5 Swede brass which is .476". I would think that the extractor needs to be modified. Your best bet in a 49/56 is in it's original configuration - mine operates flawlessly. Hope this helps.
  5. Mausermania

Mausermania New Member

Its just a thought,but did ya think about polishing the chamber? You might only have a rough chamber, plus it can't hurt. I have heard of only a handful .308 conversations working correctly. Most problems were traced to the gas system (as I recall) and ocassionally the extractor.

I had a 49/56 in 7.5 French. The ONLY gripe I had was problems finding ammo and the price of same. Also the original ammo is corrosive.

The MAS I had looked almost new and was very accurate. There was a guy located in Arkansas who used to modify FAL mags to fit the MAS 49/56. These FAL mags held 25 rounds of 7.5 French. He used to advertise in Shotgun News.

Herb has a good idea. If ya don't want to work on getting the bugs out buy one in the original caliber and make up your own ammo. RCBS was making dies to convert Swede brass. If I had a place to reload I would have kept mine . It is a very reliable weapon. If ya run out of ammo it can double as a club or paddle!! LOL

BTW,before you polish your chamber check it out good. I can't recall if the MAS had a chrome bore & chamber,but I doubt it. Better safe than sorry.

HTH
  6. islenos

islenos New Member

I have one in each cal. The 7.5 was brand new and shoots just fine. On the other hand the .308 needed a little work. The extractor would rip the head off about one in 10 rounds using 7.26 Nato ammo. Whereas commerical .308 would extract just fine. The problem ended up being, when the chamber was reemed to .308 the bit must have been dull. The chamber was rough and a little egg shaped. My smith rereemed the chamber and it is very happy now.
  7. LOADER

LOADER New Member