Mattel gun commercials

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by goofy, Dec 6, 2012.

1. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

This is for all the old heads here.
    Remember the Mattel guns.
    Tommy burst,Shootin shell 45,safe shooting rifle,tommy gun,Fanner 50,Thunderburp gun, Secret sam,Johnny seven,And the list goes on and on.
    Well just type in Old Mattel toy gun commercials and relive the past.
    There are to many links to list them but take the time to look at this .
    What a blast from the past.
    I remember having these thinking they were as real as they come.
    Watching these makes me feel old.
    And happy but makes me smile.How many of these were under your tree Christmas morning?
    Mattel is swell!!!
    Mike
    I wish I knew how to post the link to make it easy to see them but I don't know how.But if you type in google what i said you will see a whole list of them.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  3. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Thanks Carver!!!!
    Mike
  4. carver

carver Moderator

I looked at a few of these, and they did bring back memories, mostly not good memories. We didn't get toys like this for Christmass, or at any other time, mom just didn't have the money for these toys. I always wanted one, but never got one.
  5. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

That is a cool set right there! I do remember having an M-16 that had an orange tip that would go in and out when you fired it.
  6. beebz

beebz Member

I think the crook in the tommy burst commercial is the guy that played Otis in Andy Griffith.
  7. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Active Member

i remember having a cap pistol. not sure if it was mattel. that sure was an improvment over my stick gun
  8. carver

carver Moderator

We made our own stick guns, and rubber band guns. We also made sling shots, and zip guns. The rubber band guns shot bands cut from inner tubes. Bicycle tubes were for hand guns, and trie tubes were for rifles. Tire tubes were also used for sling shots, only we didn't call em sling shots. We also made our own slings. Killed lots of critters with these weapons.
  9. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

Mom didn't like guns. she's still that way. Dad used to keep his long guns in the car trunk. the only ones we had we made out of sticks and imagination.

my son though, he watches the hunting shows with me and we talk guns for hours. he sure aint no liberal gun hater
  10. jim brady

jim brady Active Member

Thanks for the memories, Goofy. We were pretty poor back then. Mom usually managed to get us each one special present at Christmas, and one year mine was a Matell six-shooter. Fired those spring loaded bullets (shootin' shells, I think) with a 'Greenie Stick-em Cap". The plastic bullet went maybe 20 feet, but it was real to me. A couple years later they came out with a Winchester style rifle that also used those plastic bullets. Mom worked very hard to do this for us, and I'll never forget that part.
  11. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

I can remember my defender dan 50 cal that shot those plastic bullets. I wore it out using it so much lol.
  12. ejkoechling

ejkoechling Active Member

wow. i got the hand me downs from my brother on the six shooter
  13. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

makes me want to find a thunderburp. that could be fun.
  14. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

wow never seen those wished i had those as a kid. But all i had was plastic cap gun and bubblegum cigarettes.
  15. Road America

Road America Member

I sure remember the ads for the Fanner 50, I wanted one real bad. Now I have a brother in law who collects antique toys, and he gave me one. Somehow it didn't seem as great as I remembered.
  16. TEXAS 1957

TEXAS 1957 Member

Memories. Here in Texas in the 60's we had war games with these. My younger brother and I got the M-16 Marauders for Christmas and they were the kings of the battlefield. Our war went into the night, in teams, with all parents well aware of what was going on. There was a wooded area in the neighborhood and the battles took place there, through neighbors yards, and nothing was broken or damaged.The only injury during all those years was when diving for cover upon spotting the "enemy", I received a mesquite tree thorn in my side deep enough that required medic DAD to remove it, then back at war. 10:00 pm was the cease fire and an end of hostilities until the next battle. No one grew up being a criminal of any kind.
    We had firearms in the house and were taught firearm safety and how to shoot. This is the same lessons that I have taught my children who are all grown now. All firearms are tools, ,all are treated as loaded, and anytime they wanted to shoot we did. Removed all curiosity so there was no concern they would get them when they were not supposed to. Sorry for the reminiscing all, but as we see things now it does make me wonder how far it will be allowed to go by "we the people". Everybody have a great weekend.
  17. Road America

Road America Member

Just wondering - do they still sell "caps" - those red paper rolls? We used to squeeze the whole roll in a pliers, then wack the pliers on the pavement or a rock to try to get the whole thing to go off.
  18. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I don't think so.They have cap guns that shoot caps that are in little plastic cups that fit over a post. But when I was in Toys R us the other day and I was looking for what Mattel sells now and did not see roll caps.
    Mike