Mattresses & Back Pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladimir, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

What? :dontknow:

Vlad, I'm willing to bet that yer pain is due to muscles spasms in yer lower back. It has nothing to do with yer spinal cord. Many will tell you otherwise. :rolleyes:

I get a tweek in my lower every couple years or so. The last time, it came when I pulled up my chair to the desk. Little things can set it off if yer inclined to it.

Ice! And lots of it. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, so I toss the meds. Muscle relaxants may be of help, but I toss them as well.

Stay off yer feet, and ICE!

Quacks can make up all kinda crap that sounds good at the time. In my case, I was getting 3 hrs sleep, and hadn't had a decent crap in a week. :eek:

Thanks doc. :mad:

I don't have a high end bed, but I do suppliment it with the memory foam. Yes, it's a heat maker, but we don't have much hot days around here. :eek:

Keep us in the loop. :)
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Vladimir,

There is a chance that I can help you with your back pain. I am a weight lifter and on my job, I deliver 5 gallon water bottles. In any given day I will move about 180+/- bottles, and each one will get moved about 3 times. In the summer, double that. My hobbie is nutrition and physical strength (and guns of course).

I showed a chiropractor something that I do and when he saw me do it, he said that if everybody knew it, chiropractors would lose about 90% of their business. This generally helps most of the people that do this so I hope that everybody will try ths because it is preventative. Here it goes.

I am assuming it is your lower back because of the warehouse. The reason your back is hurting is because when you bend over your ham strings are working, but you really don't know it. As they become tight, they pull on your lower back, but you really don't feel it yet. Suddenly, one day your stepping up a curb, or running in softball and extend your foot a little too far, or you go to pick your grand kid up,,,, OR, the popular one. You sit in a different couch or chair that you sink a little farther than normal into and BAM!!! Your back goes our. Your first thought is your back. Well it is, but that's the symptom. The cause is your ham string. What happens is the nerve going through your ham string is pinched going around your glutes (your butt) and it affects your walk and when you lift you can't extend fully without having a spazm in your lower back. You can't even sleep, and it's real. You can't even stand up straight on your own. This often happens to people that garden in the spring and hunters that begin hiking without conditioning and it happens more with age. Their ham strings become tight, and you know the rest of the story.

This is the cure.

1) Lay on the floor with yourhands at your side.

2) Bring you right knee up to your chest and wrap your right arm around/under it so as to press your leg against your chest.

3) Take your left hand and grab your right ankle.

4) Make sure that your left leg is pressed firmly on the floor and keep it straight so you feel your calf stretching.

5) Begin slowly pulling your right knee and ankle towards your chest while keeping the left leg pressed to the floor. Take the ankle towards your head stretching the leg and back muscles and make it hurt a little. It's ok, just don't bounce the muscles.

At this point you will begin stretching your back ham string which will in turn begin stretching your lower back. Each time you pull tight, hold for a minute and then relax. Repeat 3 times.

Now put your right leg flat and do the left leg.

Try to increase your times to 2-3 minutes per stretch.

Once done, begin doing leg stretches and back stretches.

For back stretches, grab a pole about 3.5' from the ground and put your feet about 1-1.5 feet from the base of the pole. Then squat a bit and lean your butt back so you begin stretching your back. If you really want to maximize this move, use a rope wrapped around the pole and grab it with your hand. Get a full stretch on your back.

Then, place both feet together and slowly stretch your hands to the ground stretching the backs of your legs. Never bounce the muscles when you stretch. You run a big risk of pulling a muscle.

Now the last step, the one the Chiropractor doesn't want you to know about.

Sit on the ground and pull your knees into your chest. Wrap your arms around your legs (kind of around your knees). Now, slowly, begin rocking back and fourth on your back from your neck to your lower back. Naturally your back will begin popping into place. The only place you really can't get will be your neck, however that should follow suit when you stand up. If your neck feels tense, slowly stetch your neck from side to side to loosen the muscles.

Now, eat a banana (potassium for muscle cramps) and drink a couple glasses of water (helps muscle cramps) over a two hour period unless it's before bed. Then one glass will do.

One additional bit of advice. When a boxer does repeated sit ups as a regular routine, the primary benefit is to strengthen the abs so they can take hard hits as they flex the muscle. However, there is another benefit. By strengthening the abs, when the boxer is moving back and fourth and moving up and down, he is using his legs as his primary strength force. However, if his abs were not conditioned well he would begin experiencing fatigue in his lower back. What I am saying is your abs are the gussett to the back and legs. They offer the additional strength to the back. I recommend doing crunch's in small reps of 20 for 3 sets and work up to as many as you can do. Star with whatever you can do and don't overdue it. Then, when you are lifting on the job, each time you lift an object, tighten your abs and it will begin improving your lifting technique and help with the lower back.

As a weight lifter, I can't afford to be hurt. Hurt is time lost and time is everything to strength training. I am not a body builder, and I don't compete because I don't like the limelight. However, I do it because I feel better and it helps me to do the other hobbies I enjoy.

One last thing. As human nature makes us tend to want comfort, many people begin using softer mattresses as they age. But have you ever noticed how millions of American's can't sleep? My entire life I have slept on an extra firm mattress. I read an article by a seurgeon when I was young and he wrote about the importance of sleeping on an extra firm mattress. What stuck out in my mind was a statement he made. "You never would see a seurgeon perform an operation on a sort mattress, why would you sleep on one"? he asked. The whole basis is that an operation table keeps everything on alignment, a soft mattress does not. I remarried in 2007 and my awesome wife had back problems. I demanded an extra firm mattress and she just hated it,,, at first. Today, her back problems are gone and that mattress did for her what a chiropractor will never do. Now she sleeps better and better 4 years later and she says that sleeping is the best part of her day.

To get used to an extra firm mattress, just put a few extra blankets over the mattress and you will adapt to it.

Hope this helps.
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

My mom took me to chiropractor when i was younger, had whooping cough and the cough would not go away walked in with the cough and out of office without the cough. Just like everything else some are good some are not
  4. 76Highboy

I am not at all against a chiropractor. They definately have their place and do provide a great service. But just like many experience bad doctors, some experience the same with chiropracrors.
  5. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I can speak from expereinse sorry for the spelling,I have rods and screws in my back.Do everything you can to avoid surgery Do Not let them cut on you.I picked up a small engine 6 years ago and hurt my back.Now im permanently and totally disabled,I first went to the chiropractor and he said oh my were going to have to do 10 days of traction or your going to end up under the knife.So I paid the $400 and went religously and I hurt worse than before,and he said thats normal it will hurt worse before it feels better.Started hurting so bad couldnt take it.I went to my family doctore and immediately was put on heavy pain killers and sent to the surgeon.after two surgeries and a spinal fusion with instrumentation I still hurt every hour of the day.I will be on painkillers the rest of my life they ruined me.I was told I could go back to work in 3 months and when I was in the recovery room they told my wife and father that I would never work again and the were right.What ever the reason for it is inflamed use ice heat and ice heat until you get to feel better then you can use the tens unit,it wont fix it but it will help with the pain it works by putting the electrods above and below the pain never put them exactly where it hurts you can run it for hours and even sleep with it.It works by sending electric impulses into your body wich in turn releases a natural pain killer in your body called endorphins wich help with the pain.It will make it feel num.I use it to manage pain and I dont sleep in the bed I sleep in the recliner thats the only way I can sleep.You need to get your core muscles built up to take the pressure off you back believe me it will help.I hate to hear that someones hurting I feel for you.Ive read all these posts and they all give good advise.Even if you try a couple of different suggestions from each post you will find something that works.Take care and let us know how you are doingl
  6. 76Highboy

For back pain I prefer a Pysical Therapist. A Chiropractor grows his practice from repeat customers. A PT teaches the patient how to strengthen the muscles so the back will remain in the proper position. Their focus is to train you to keep in a condition where you don't have back problems.
  7. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

First it's a nice idea to talk around and get people's ideas and experiances on things like pain, mattresses, remedies -but- if it gets bad I'd also get some professional opinions too, maybe an xray or whatever before you spend $500 (+/-) on a mattress.

30+ years ago I thought Chiropractors were quacks, not now, I was in a bad auto accident ~20 years back, spent 6 1/2 months in the hospital with a broken neck.

Well after that and 5 months more home rehab I was left with nerve damage down my left side especially left hip, leg some back and off/on PAIN!!. TENS unit did nothing, all kinds of meds, more meds, ice, more ice (I have a pack in my hip now), nothing really worked 100% OH I have a very high pain tolerance.

About 10+ years ago it got really bad, more and more pills, packed in ice almost all day, it was HELL! Went to MD, said he had to find some relief! Back in hospital for 3 days, xrays, CAT, MRI .....found nothing. Discharge notes: Pain Management....that's it? I WAS PISSED!

Got home, called Chiropractor, who also works with an LMT, Licensed Massage Therapist...in next day, heat treat, massage, etc, then on table, worked, stretched, all the tools, I felt better than a year+.

Aggressive 3-4 treatments/week then cut back to 1-2/week, 17 in 4 months. Exercises at home which I followed after treatments. I felt so much better.

Chiropractor + LMT saved me!

Now I'm 61, have arthritis, bursitis in LT shoulder and hip, I do stretch bands...wore out 2 sets, am ordering some HD ones soon. It works, plus occasional ice. ;)
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

76 is on to something there.

My wife just forced me to join a gym. I had a 1 hour appoitment with a trainer there and she said the same exact thing about the hamstrings and my lower back. She said my posture was BAD REALLY BAD. then asked if my lower back hurts often. I said yes quite a bit.

As for a bed. I had a sleep number for my sleep study and I tried to come back for more of them because that was the most comfortable mattress I had ever had. See if your doc will write you a scrip for a mattress some insurance's will pay for most of it that way.

I know a guy that got hit by an IED in Iraq. His back was hurting him all the time. His Navy doc wrote him a scrip for a memory foam mattress and the military insurance picked up the tab. Whats the worse that can happen? They say NO.... Never hurts to try though.
  9. 76Highboy

Thanks tango. The trick with the sleep number bed is to find your comfort level and then over time increase it a little firmer. As time goes by you will get used to the firmness and your back will feel better. At that point, if you went back to your original number it might surprise you because initially it will feel better, but then the back pains will slowly creep back in. Our backs were not designed to be curved under our own weight to a great degree. Firm is better and it does not necessarily need to be extra firm.
  10. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Hmmm sleep number seems outrageously expensive, the complaints of heat with memory foam has me worried as I prefer sleeping in a cold environment. However, that is one perk to Costco, basically unconditional return policy.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Vlad, right now you can buy a Queen Sleep Number bed for around $600. Compare that to any name brand mattress!
  12. yetiman

yetiman New Member

We have a Tempur but I do not like it. My back feels the best when I can ride a bicycle 3-4 times a week 15-20 miles at a time (road bike), used to wake up in the middle of the night due to back pain and the bike was key to strengthening my back muscles where pain is very manageable....
  13. 76Highboy

Bike riding is a great way to helping the lower back because it stretches the ham strings and they are connected to the lower back muscles which also become stretched out. People that ride on a regular basis normally have minimal back isues.
  14. ka64

ka64 Active Member

My best yet. I have owned Sterns & Foster top of the line, temperpedic and the sleep number by far has been the best for me and the Wife. LOVE IT!!!!!!!
  15. One Shot

One Shot Member

We have the poor mans version of the sleep number. Off brand and we don't really have a number but we can adjust the firmness. Since both halves of the bed have their own control my wife and I can adjust it to what we like best. In the case of my wife and I we are the exact opposites so one side is real firm and the other is super soft.
  16. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Wow bike riding to strenghening back muscles I haven't really heard that one but that's fantastic if it works for you!

Excercises are way better than falling into a "sit & medicate" routine.

Even with chronic pain like arthritis try to find an excercise routine that works you you....plus I like my occasional ice pack! :)
  17. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

+1. Perfect solution for back pain. Both myself and the Mrs. like it on 100.

Neverhome
  18. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

+1 I've always found it best to keep moving as much as possible whenever my back starts throwing spasms. Ice packs and/or heat packs help, and the TENS machine is useful. I found a brace helps a little. The Dr. gave me some perscription painkillers a few years back, but I still have most of the perscription left.

Chronic pain I'm not so sure about.
  19. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Funny thing about the TENS which if you've never used one is:

Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (acronym TENS) is the use of electric current produced by a device to stimulate the nerves for therapeutic purposes. TENS by definition covers the complete range of transcutaneously applied currents used for nerve excitation although the term is often used with a more restrictive intent, namely to describe the kind of pulses produced by portable stimulators used to treat pain.

My PT and OT people in the hospital used to borrow mine for their aching muscles....it's tough working all those people out all day every day!

On chronic pain it's as much a mental issue as physical, it's nice to get into routines, maybe change up excercises....similar to sports and lifting routines.

NOTE: typing on the computer doesn't count as excercise, lol, in fact it hurts if you're on too long.
  20. geds

geds New Member

Vlad - the first exercise the Dr. gave me after my back surgery is one that is easy to do when you are feeling tight or have a nerve pinched. Lay flat on your back (can be on the floor or in bed). Point your toes away from you and while doing so, press your stomach back toward the surface you are lying on and count to ten. Repeat except this time pull your toes toward you. What you are doing is stretching the hamstrings and abdominal muscles without moving them. This helps to relieve the compression on the disks (and nerves) in your back and thighs. Since the only thing moving are your feet, it does not risk pinching or binding anything.

Once you loosen up some, slowly work your way into doing abdominal strengthening exercises as described earlier in the thread. Strong abdominals, stretching, and proper lifting techniques will go farther toward taking care of your back pain than anything else you can do.