1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Mauregan Arms Co.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jack.54@hotmail.com, Sep 7, 2006.

1. jack.54@hotmail.com

jack.54@hotmail.com New Member

I've received a12 ga. single shot that belonged to my Great-Great Grandfather. It's engraved as "Mauregan Arms",very fancy engraving,Norwich, conn. Serial #C6125. Full choked, 30" barrel. I'm no expert at grading but appears to be ain good condition and tight. I'm mostly interested in approx. age and or dates of manuf..approx. value. Once again thanks for your help.
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

3. jack.54@hotmail.com

Did the google search before I posted. Attempting to put a record together for family guns to be past down. Best I can see is crescent arms may have made this gun. Trying to find out when gun was made.
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Well, in reading the post I listed above, concensus was that these guns were made around the 1900 time frame. This is the same numbers I get when reading the other posts listed in the google search. In my post listing the guy says to cantact the Norwich Library to get more info on the gun companies at the turn of the century. Anyway value still stands at around $10 to $75.

If you read some of Xracers inputs in this forum, he constantly says that most of these guns were imported from Belgium or are "Crescent" guns around that time frame and were sold as hardware store guns. You may want to go through his countless number of posts here and read on. He is our resident "old shotgun" expert.
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Jack.....are you sure it's Mauregan Arms or could it be Wauregan Arms (with a "W" instead of an "M")?

Wauregan Arms is one of the 150+ names under which Crescent Arms of Norwich, CT, made shotguns. (And, incidentally, Wauregan is the name of a small town in CT, about 12 miles south of Norwich, between Norwich and New London :) )

If it is "Wauregan", if it has proofmarks, it was made in Belgium. If no proofmarks, it was made by Crescent.

Crescent was in business from 1888 until about 1930, and was the largest maker of "Hardware Store" shotguns in the U.S. with a large variety of tradenames. They also made a small number of higher grade shotguns under the Crescent brand.

Despite that fact that Crescent made most of it's "hardware store" shotguns to sell at a fairly low price, I've never seen a Crescent made shotgun (under whatever tradename) that wasn't a decently made gun and a good value for the price.

If this is a Crescent made "Wauregan", I'd value it a bit higher than Tex.....say from $50 to $100 (but, then again, I have a soft spot in my heart for these old Crescents :D ).

BTW.....this gun was most likely built in the blackpowder era, and shouldn't be used with modern smokeless powder shotgun loads. If you want to shoot it, take it to a good gunsmith and have it checked out.

And.......while it may not have a high $$$ value, if it belonged to your Great-Great Grandfather, it's a family heirloom and therefore priceless! Keep it and pass it down to your children and grandchildren.
  6. jack.54@hotmail.com

Thanks for all the helpful information and suggestions. I try not to be a pain in the butt. I try to get as much info. before I post. But the best information comes from you guys on this site. Thanks again Jack