Mauser 1910 Pocket Pistol? Can anyone I.D? - Photos Included.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by danrw84, Apr 3, 2006.

1. danrw84

danrw84 New Member

hello everyone.
    I want to try to gather as much information as possible on the Mauser pistol I inherited. My grandfather picked it up in WW2 from a german soldier, there is a story behind it that I was told..
    Anyway, it came back with him, and was wrapped in a ww2 undershirt and stashed away. It was passed to my father, who stumbled upon it again recently, and decided to let me have it.

Heres what I know:
    I know it needs to be cleaned! I took it to a shooting range to give it a whirl, the clip is a bit rough so I went ahead and ordered another one the other day. You guys helped me out here to track one down.

To clean it, what kit would be ideal? I am pretty new to the cleaning of a pistol, but am a fast learner, and have cleaned and oiled an old winchester .22 before.
    Any suggestions on this? Where, what to oil, and clean?

I am posting pics along with it to see if I can learn any background on it, or anything one of you pro's may know. I was told once that it is a WW1 era because of the serial, which would mean it was used again in WW2, or handed down, or maybe sold and repurchased. Who knows.

What are your thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for the marking on the back -- i found this site which shows police markings, it doesnt look like any of them. http://www.whog.org/ppk/markings.htm

Looking forward to any response. Thanks!

Dan
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Dan.....welcome to TFF. :)

Actually, I think that your Mauser Model 1910 is actually a Model 1934.....but no matter, as the Models 1910, 1914, and 1934 pretty much the same gun, with just minor changes.

Here's some info on them: http://www.utdallas.edu/~roddy/Links/Mauser/mauser.html

The Mauser Pocket Model 1934 was made from 1934 until 1939 and was commonly carried as a sidearm by German Officers in WWII. The proofmark of a crown over a "U" was a standard German proofmark from 1891 until 1939.

If you don't already have a gun cleaning kit, I suggest that you get a pistol cleaning kit (I like Hoppe's : http://shop.jaxoutdoor.com/Default.aspx?tabid=145&productid=1148 ) and a .32 caliber bore brush. You can pick up a pistol cleaning kit at any gun shop or at Walmart. If you've got an old toothbrush, an old tee shirt, and some Q-tips, they come in handy too.

First, field strip your gun....here's how to do it: http://www.marstar.ca/AssemblyMauser1910PP.htm

Then follow these steps: http://va.essortment.com/howtocleanas_rgvk.htm

Since, evidently, your pistol hasn't been cleaned in some time, I'd use the bore brush, dipped in solvent, and scrub out the barrel with it....5 or 6 passes and then let it soak for a while, while you clean the rest of the gun.

The Q-tips I use for oiling the bearing surfaces of the parts.....I dip the Q-tip in the gun oil and squeeze out the excess with my fingers, then use it to apply a very thin coat of oil on the moving metal parts.

After you've reassembled the gun, I like to put a little oil on a part of the tee-shirt and give the outside of the gun a wipe down and leave a very thin coat of oil.

And.....that ought to do it. Have fun! :)
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Does your pistol have the word "Germany" stamped anywhere?
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Now for the sad part. Without your Grandfather writing down the story and having it verified, the pistol just becomes another German pistol, very collectabe but again just another pistol ( except to you and your family , of course). If only these stories were put down on paper, we are losing more and more history.
  5. danrw84

danrw84 New Member

very true
    the pistol wont be leaving the family i dont think. so value isnt really a concern of mine.

as for wonders question, No i dont see the word germany anywhere on it.

Anyone know where I can pick up an original manual for it? or anything original? box, etc?
  6. danrw84

danrw84 New Member

looks like ive got the 1914...
    "The Mauser 1914 is almost mechanically identical to the 1910, but in 32 ACP and the grips are one-piece checkered wood."

it definatley has that grip, and the curvature is the same, unlike the 34.
    thanks for the info
    any way to find out the history of this thing with the #'s?

Also --- is it true i should not fire this weapon?
    I have shot it before, but someone told me shooting something old like this just ruins it and the value? is this true? I would definatley like to take this gun out for some shooting now and again.
    Advice on that?
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Shooting it will not hurt the value of the pistol unless you do something like dropping it or scratching it. Other than that, take it out and feed it lots of ammo. That was what it was built for.
  8. danrw84

danrw84 New Member

being as old as it is, do i need to register it?
    i live in california

also, how should i carry this in a vehicle when transporting it to make it legal?
  9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The best people to ask about the legalitys of your fire arm is the law enforcement there in Ca. About shooting your Mauser, by all means go ahead and shoot it a few times, then it might be best to clean it and put it bed. If anything breaks other than a spring there are no parts for it ( other than repo mags), it has been out of production for over 60 yrs. The 1910 has been well known to break a few fireing pins, don't ever dry fire it with out a snap cap. What I'm trying to get across is, the gun is very old, old steel gets brittle. If the slide cracks then it is only good to hang on the wall. You have a valued heirloom, treat it as a part of your family history that it is.
  10. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

When you clean it; check the barrel pickets regularly. Inspect your firing pin for damage and keep an eye on your wear to the rifling. Mausers are safe as long as you keep an eye on what's going on. I still shoot my 1910 model and the C-96's and Bergman pistols. Old guns are just like old cars; they just need to be used sensibly.
  11. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Looks like about $300 is average on those. I have seen them for $175-$200. They are not highly desirable; just a lot of fun.
  12. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

OK, here's the carry information for California: You may only have it with you if you are going to a shooting range or to a gunsmith. If you do have it with you it must be in a locked case or compartment, unloaded, and the ammunition must not be in the same place as the pistol. Having said that, can you answer the question I asked previously, does your pistol have the word "Germany" stamped on it anywhere?
  13. danrw84

danrw84 New Member

i did respond above about that.
    No , germany is not written on it anywhere.

Any suggestions on lock cases? Best place to buy, best price?

thanks.

I cleaned it ! it was filthy. took a lot to clean it, but i did it. oiled it up and put it back together.
    waiting for the replacement mag to go test it out. old mag doesnt work well
  14. Marine03

Marine03 New Member

Hi everyone,
    I am looking at purchasing a Model 1910 (1910-1913), with "Germany" stamped on the side, for $350. It has matching serial numbers and is in very good condition. What is the ball park value for the initial Model 1910?

A little background information:

Like the original poster, my great grandfather brought this same model (1910-1913) pistol back after serving in the European theater during World War II. He kept it in his personal collection until giving it to my grandfather when he shipped out to Vietnam. My grandfather subsequently lost the pistol during an ambush in which his best friend was killed. I would like to buy this Model 1910 for his 65th birthday, but do not want to pay too much more than what it is worth. I appreciate any information or help that can be provided. Thanks for your time gentlemen.
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Without pictures, there is no way to determine what "very good condition" means, but Mauser 1910s top out at around $600 unless like new and in the box.

Jim