Mauser 1914 question

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by glitch1187, Jul 26, 2012.

1. glitch1187

glitch1187 New Member

Just a general opinion question... I have this really neat 1914 Mauser Pocket Pistol I'm bringing back to life, matching numbers, good bore, etc., but the grip screw threads in the frame are stripped clean. Do I tap the holes for the next size up, or fill, re-drill and re-tap the holes? I don't have the original grip screws, so I could go either way.
    What do you all think?
    John
  2. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

This is really more of a Jim K kind of question, but I believe your first impulse is correct - tap the holes for the next size up. There is not much chance of finding a really nice original grip, complete with screws, for this gun. Just my $.02.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I used to tap some of those out for the M1911 grip screws, which aren't a good head fit, but are not too bad if you thin the head a bit. But the M1911 is an odd thread itself, being .150x50. I had the tap at that time, but it is not worth $35 to buy one for one job.

The trouble is that the combination of a small screw major diameter and a large head just is not common, except in grip screws. If you have a means of reshaping a head, you could tap for something common like 8x32, then shape the head of a common screw or hex head and cut the slot. Not hard to do, just takes a little practice.

Let me think a bit on that one and will try to get back to you.

Jim