1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Mauser 1914 question

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by glitch1187, Jul 26, 2012.

1. glitch1187

glitch1187 New Member

Just a general opinion question... I have this really neat 1914 Mauser Pocket Pistol I'm bringing back to life, matching numbers, good bore, etc., but the grip screw threads in the frame are stripped clean. Do I tap the holes for the next size up, or fill, re-drill and re-tap the holes? I don't have the original grip screws, so I could go either way.
    What do you all think?
    John
  2. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

This is really more of a Jim K kind of question, but I believe your first impulse is correct - tap the holes for the next size up. There is not much chance of finding a really nice original grip, complete with screws, for this gun. Just my $.02.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I used to tap some of those out for the M1911 grip screws, which aren't a good head fit, but are not too bad if you thin the head a bit. But the M1911 is an odd thread itself, being .150x50. I had the tap at that time, but it is not worth $35 to buy one for one job.

The trouble is that the combination of a small screw major diameter and a large head just is not common, except in grip screws. If you have a means of reshaping a head, you could tap for something common like 8x32, then shape the head of a common screw or hex head and cut the slot. Not hard to do, just takes a little practice.

Let me think a bit on that one and will try to get back to you.

Jim