Mauser 6.35 (1910) & Colt D.A 38

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mister, Apr 29, 2011.

1. mister

mister New Member

Hi All. I'm new to the firearms world and was given a pair of firearms from an estate. One is a Mauser 6.35 and the other a Colt D.A 38. I've done light research into the value of the Mauser (from $300 to $400) and the .38 up to $1,000. But I'm unsure if the values are what is hoped for or do the firearms generally sell for those amounts?

Also, is the Mauser a hard-to-find firearm? I'm considering keeping both items and registering them but am unsure how to go about doing it. A call to my local police department regarding the correct way to register the firearms was fruitless. They referred me to the ATF website. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.

Colt D.A .38
    [​IMG]

Mauser 6.35
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

You don't say what state you are in, but in most states there is no requirement to register firearms, New York, New Jersey, and some others being exceptions. There is no federal requirement for registering ordinary handguns like those, only for machineguns, short barrel rifles/shotguns and a few other weapons. If your police department didn't know about state or local registration requirements, there probably are none.

As to evaluation, the Colt is either the New Navy or the New Army and Navy, and dates to the 1890's or early 1900's. The Mauser is as you say. Unfortunately, both pictures are so poor that any evaluation based on them would be impossible. In evaluating any firearm, condition is all important and without better pictures there is no way of determining condition.

Jim
  3. mister

mister New Member

Thanks Jim for that information. I'm in California. My cell phone shoots very poor pictures but I will ask a friend with an iPhone to take them for me. Then I can (hopefully) post pics of a higher quality.
  4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

They have these things called cameras......
    They take pretty good pictures.
  5. mister

mister New Member

I've actually heard of those things. But they're usually used by people who still wear watches and own VCRs.
  6. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Or, people who take good pictures.
  7. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I think I could have taken better pictures with a pin hole camera.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Often the problem is not the cell phone, it is that the people who use them have skipped over things like real cameras and so have never learned to take pictures.

Jim