Mauser 6.35

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by goofy, Sep 9, 2012.

1. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

My dad gave this to me when I went down to see him.
    He said he got it along time ago when he worked in DC during the riots.
    The same time he got his carbine.
    He got it from a friend who told him that his dad got it in the war.He paid $20 bucks for it.
    Any info. on it would be great!
    All the #s match .It has almost no rust but as you can see the blue is warn off.
    Thanks in advance!!!
    Mike

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  2. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Member

This is usually known as a Mauser 1910 or 1912. The 6.35 stands for 6.35mm Browning, which is the ammunition it takes. In the USA, it is called 25 Auto or 25 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol - the first gun here made for it was a Colt).

In Germany the gun was also called the Neun-Lader, I think, because the magazine held nine rounds.

It is much larger than the usual 25 caliber pistol, which makes it more pleasant to shoot but underpowered for its size, especially by today's standards. 25 Auto is about as powerful as 22 Long Rifle, but it feeds and ignites more reliably.

They were made starting in 1910, revised in 1912 (yours is the revised version) and made until the mid or late 1930's. They sold pretty well, so they are not rare, but Mausers are heavily collected, so it has reasonable value. I don't know enough to estimate it, tho.

Mauser was one of the most prestigious gun makers in the world, so workmanship and materials were first rate for the time. The design is rather complicated, so I don't remember the take-down method offhand.

The little pedal by the trigger is the safety catch. You push it down to engage it, and push the little button to release it.

This website has a good article about these guns:

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/MPP/mpp.html

HTH!

PS - Thanks for putting up pictures!

PPS - Mauser also made a larger version of this design, in 32 Auto (7.65mm Browning in Europe). It is usually called the Model 1914, with a modified version called the Model 1934.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Not good enough condition for a collector, but a well made, reliable firearm which is worth around $175. Harder to find than the .32 caliber version.
  4. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Thanks allot!!
    Guess parts for them are unavailable.Looking for a barrel this has a little bulge in it.
    Thanks again
    Mike
  5. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Member

Even though they are old, these are not rare guns, so I would think there are parts around. I would look on the Internet gun auction websites, and the big parts dealers like Numrich.
  6. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

With a bulge in the barrel, I would revise the value to about $135.
  7. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    I am not looking to sell it. Just wanted to know about it.
    I will find a barrel and keep it for play.Numrich does not have one so I will check the other places I work with and keep a eye out for one.
    Thanks again!
    Mike
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Unless it interferes with the slide, a bulged barrel might not keep the gun from functioning. The bulge happened when someone shot it with an obstruction in the barrel.

The holster is American and has little value; it appears to have been cut down from a larger holster.

Good luck in finding a barrel!

Jim