Mauser 98 8 mm

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Scottyboy, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Scottyboy

Scottyboy New Member

It has a DOT 1944 stamp on the top of reciever ,in the rear of it ,it's stamped Mauser 98 and also on the side of reciever. It appears to have the winged crest in several places but are hard to see real clear.What do you figure the value on this would be. Holy smokes I still cant get this pic down sized ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2004
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Can you please give us all of the writing, proofmarks, etc. on it?

From the pic, I can't really tell if this is a (nicely) "sporterized" military 98, or one of the commercial ones.

The stock shape and caliber would seem to rule it out as a post-WWII commercial, but it could possibly be a pre-war.

If it's a pre-war Commercial, it would be worth as much as $3,500-$4,000. If it's a sporterized military 98, even though it appears to be very nicely done, it's probably worth about $400.

But.......I'm no Mauser expert. Keep checking back, somebody around here will be sure to know more about 'em than I do.
  3. Scottyboy

Scottyboy New Member

A hair more info on the 98

The # 4874 is on the bolt,its between the bolt and the safety and on the side of the barrel below the rear sight.Looking at it from the top, forward of a screw ,it is stamped 37 or 57,even with a glass on it you cant really make it a positive #. The butt plate is marked - Bishops Stocks.Tried zooming in with a digital but it was just a blurr and really distorted.There is also about 5 stamps on it in various spots that are hard to distinguish what they are, kind of resemble the bird crest of the time. There is also a double stamp ,side by side with the crest like stamp and the #63 below both stamps. Hope this helps and is not confusing.
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

OK......the "Bishops Stocks" answers the question. Bishops is an aftermarket stock maker. That pretty much nails this down as a sporterized military 98.

Soooooo.....it's not worth 3 or 4 grand. However, it looks like a very nicely done conversion, and 8mm Mauser is a great hunting round......very much in the same class as the .30-06. It can be handloaded with bullets from 125 gr. up to 225 gr. and is suitable for any North American game.

Look at it this way. You don't have a high dollar collector's item that you have coddle and put away for posterity......you've got a really neat hunting rifle you can use and enjoy! Hell, that's more fun, anyway! :)
  5. Scottyboy

Scottyboy New Member

Thanks Xracer , I just happened to see the name on the butt plate as I was trying to get a camera shot in. I was shooting the rifle last summer for the first time and had a ball.I think the thing I like best about this rifle is the bolt action , compared to some of the factory new stuff. For being an old timer it really cycles nice.It was my dads deer rifle and it hasnt been shot for bout 30 years.I never really knew where it came from or how long he had owned it ,cause I just remember fiddlin with it when I was just a kid ,barely big enough to hold it .Again thanks for the info.
  6. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Very definitely a military 98 Mauser. Still has the military stepped barrel and it looks like the military bottom metal also. Someone has installed the ramped front sight and dovetailed the barrel for the rear leaf. Still has the military safety, I'd be suprised if it was drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

That style stock is almost certainly 1950's.

Value is as a shooter - around $200-$250.
  7. Scottyboy

Scottyboy New Member

CGS .Same thanks goes to you as well for the info on this rifle. If anyone runs across any extra info,post it or send me a note ,thanks.